- PEOPLE NEWS. // Fire Chief;Nov2006, Vol. 50 Issue 11, p9
Career developments involving fire chiefs in the U.S. are discussed. The new fire chief of Deerfield Beach in Florida, is Anthony "Tony" Stravino. Willie J. Patrick Jr. will serve as the fire chief of Wilmington from January 2007. Thomas R. Wood has been appointed as the new fire chief of the...
- Volunteers Corner. Comstock, Jr., David // Fire Engineering;Nov2005, Vol. 158 Issue 11, p14
The article presents information on the promotional methods using which a firefighter can be promoted to the rank of company officer. First, the department must decide the minimum qualifications an officer should have. Departments should also define the minimum training or educational...
- Blazin' Fire Board. Specken, Dale; Mund, Bill; Hewitt, Chief Joel; Rosendahl, Jerry; Strongitharm, John; West, Bruce // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jan/Feb2007, Vol. 43 Issue 3, p9
The article offers advice from fire service professionals for newly promoted fire chiefs. Chief Dale Specken of Hopkins Fire Department emphasizes the importance of commitment to public service. Chief Bill Mund of Saint Cloud Fire Department suggests fire chiefs should seek advice and assistance...
- Closing the leadership gap. METCALF, WILLIAM R. // Fire Chief;Nov2013, Vol. 57 Issue 11, p16
The article focuses on the approach to leadership development and succession planning adopted by officials and chiefs of fire department. According to the author, the promotional system in fire departments is based on self-motivated people who are willing to seek education, training and...
- Diversity in the Fire Service: A Problem or a Solution? McNEIL, JOHN J. // Fire Engineering;Oct2008, Vol. 161 Issue 10, p129
This article focuses on the advantages and disadvantages of diversity in the fire service. An overview of the challenges faced by fire service leaders in addressing stereotypes such as nationality, race or religion in hiring and promotion is provided. It mentions the legitimate concerns arising...
- Fire Chief Qualifications. Clack, James // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jul/Aug2007, Vol. 43 Issue 6, p24
The author, who is chief of the Minneapolis Fire Department, presents his views on the ongoing debate in Saint Paul over the educational and experience requirements for the next fire chief. He contends that any fire chief must have significant experience under emergency conditions where lives...
- 'She's Broken Barriers' Hawley, David // Minnesota Fire Chief;Mar/Apr2005, Vol. 41 Issue 4, p19
Presents excerpts from the article ""She's Broken Barriers": Minneapolis' First Female Fire Chief," by David Hawley, which appeared in "St. Paul Pioneer Press."
- Fire Chief - Flagstaff (Ariz.) Fire Department. // Fire Chief Expert Blog;2/28/2013, p8
The article offers information on the fire chief position being offered by the Flagstaff Fire Department in Arizona.
- Becoming unstoppable. Buckman, John M. // Fire Engineering;Jan1998, Vol. 151 Issue 1, p8
Focuses on the ideal qualities of a volunteer fire chief. Importance of recognizing the significance of every experience; Reason why persistence is an important quality of volunteer fire chiefs; Resiliency of successful individuals; Difference between successful and unsuccessful people.