Same-Sex Marriage Through the Equal Protection Clause: A Gender-Conscious Analysis
- Federal marriage suits. Keen, Lisa // Windy City Times;7/22/2009, Vol. 24 Issue 43, p1
The article focuses on the growing number of lawsuits by gays and lesbians that seek to secure equal and marriage rights in the U.S.
- DOMA to face two challenges. // Windy City Times;11/10/2010, Vol. 26 Issue 6, p5
The article reports on the plan of the Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders and the American Civil Liberties Union to file separate lawsuits that will challenge the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).
- Same-Sex Shindigs. Brown, Elizabeth Nolan // Reason;Dec2014, Vol. 46 Issue 7, p12
The article reports that same sex couple Jennie McCarthy and her fiancee filed a complaint with the New York State Division of Human Rights against Liberty Ridge's barn owners in Albany, New York, Robert and Cynthia Gifford, for not hosting weddings for same-sex couples.
- WHAT FEMINISTS HAVE TO LOSE IN SAME-SEX MARRIAGE LITIGATION. Case, Mary Anne // UCLA Law Review;Jun2010, Vol. 57 Issue 5, p1199
This Article highlights both the rewards in accepting and the risks in rejecting a claim of sex discrimination as one constitutional basis for invalidating restrictions on marriage for same-sex couples. It argues that recognition of same-sex marriage and elimination of enforced sex roles are as...
- GLAD files second lawsuit against DOMA. Wareham, Hannah Clay // Bay Windows;11/11/2010, Vol. 28 Issue 48, p1
The article reports that Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders has filed a lawsuit against the U.S. Defense of Marriage Act's ban on same-sex marriage.
- UNITED STATES V. WINDSOR AND FEDERAL TAX LAW. Westfall, Laura R. // GPSolo;Jan/Feb2014, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p72
The article discusses the litigation "United States v. Windsor," heard in the U.S. Supreme Court in 2013. In June, the Court held that section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) was unconstitutional as a violation of the Fifth Amendment. Under DOMA, no state must recognize a same-sex...
- Federal Judge Rules against Marriage Equality in Louisiana. // Lesbian -- Gay Law Notes;Oct2014, p412
The article reports that the U.S. District Judge Martin Feldman has ruled against marriage equality in Louisiana. It mentions that the court has rejected a constitutional challenge to Louisiana's state constitutional and statutory ban on same-sex marriage. It is informed that the case is...
- High court refuses to get involved in Massachusetts gay marriage dispute. // Contemporary Sexuality;Jan2005, Vol. 39 Issue 1, p8
The article reports that the U.S. Supreme Court has decided not to get involved in the wrangling over gay marriage in Massachusetts. The court refused to hear a case that argued the Massachusetts Supreme Court ruling in favor of gay marriage violated the U.S. Constitution. The high court did not...
- Federal Civil Litigation Notes. // Lesbian -- Gay Law Notes;Mar2007, p48
The article reports on several U.S. court decisions concerning laws related to GLBT persons. The author discusses a case in Illinois concerning signatures for a ballot referendum to prohibit same-sex marriage, employment discrimination cases in Kentucky, Mississipppi and Pennsylvania, and a...