2005 Barbara Nachtrieb Armstrong Award for Outstanding Advocacy on Behalf of Social Justice for Women
- Girls' Perceptions of Characters' Gender Roles in Digital Games: A Study in Singapore. Ong, Jennifer Isabelle Pei Ling; Pei-Wen Tzuo // International Journal of Gender, Science & Technology;Sep2011, Vol. 3 Issue 3, p620
This article explores girls' perceptions of (1) characters' gender roles, (2) game genres, and (3) female power status as portrayed in digital games through the lens of poststructuralist feminism. Research interests arise from identifying gaps in the findings and critiquing the research methods...
- Time warp in the toy store. Reifler, Ellen J. // New Moon Network;Jan/Feb97, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p1
Presents information on sex role stereotyping in the United States. Selection of toys for boys, and girls; How tantrum-throwing boys, and girls are perceived by their parents; Influence of toys on the child's self-image.
- Gender Stereotypes in the Expression and Perception of Vocal Affect. Bonebright, Terri L.; Thompson, Jeri L. // Sex Roles;Mar96, Vol. 34 Issue 5/6, p429
Examines the perception and expression of vocal affect for behavioral evidence of gender stereotypes. Three areas of concern in research on vocal affect; Total number of subjects in the study; Profile of the subjects; Judge gender comparisons for emotion identifications; Actor gender...
- A peace plan for the gender wars. White, Mark B.; Tyson-Rawson, Kirsten J. // Psychology Today;Mar/Apr96, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p50
Focuses on gender relations. Arguments between mates; Hidden beliefs; Traditional responsibilities of men and women; Roles, patterns and themes; Life cycle stage; Assumptions that fuel arguments; Intimate representative. INSET: Questions for the gendergram..
- Factor structure of the sex-role ideology scale: Introducing a short form. Cota, Albert A.; Xinaris, Skevoulla // Sex Roles;Sep93, Vol. 29 Issue 5-6, p345
Examines the factor structure of the Sex-Role Ideology Scale (SRIS). Standard measure of gender ideology; Measure of social desirability; Principal component analysis; Development of a unidimensional short form to address the construct validity of the short form of the SRIS.
- The effects of gender, race, religion, and political orientation on the sex role attitudes of... Lottes, Ilsa L.; Kuriloff, Peter J. // Adolescence;Fall92, Vol. 27 Issue 107, p675
Examines the effects of gender, race (Asian, black, and white), religion (Catholic, Jewish, and Protestant), and political orientation (liberal and conservative) on four areas of sex role ideology--traditional attitudes toward female sexuality, justification of male dominance, negative attitudes...
- The myths of sex. // Nutrition Health Review: The Consumer's Medical Journal;1993, Issue 65, p4
Contrasts the myths in the perception of a man and a woman. Courage, stoicity, modesty, procreation, provider, toughness and independence for men; Daddy's girl, self-indulgence, exhibitionism, emotionality, lovability and no need to win attitude for women.
- A time for partnership. Eisler, Riane // UNESCO Courier;Sep95, Vol. 48 Issue 9, p5
Discusses how the present day questioning of sex roles and relations is part of a movement towards greater democracy and egalitarianism. Technological and economic changes as cause of dislocation and stress; Structure of the family; Movement towards a partnership social organization.
- CNR participates in new gender equity program. // Westchester County Business Journal;1/1/96, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p12
Reports that the College of Rochelle will be participating in a public service campaign to improve gender equity in schools and also to encourage girls and women to venture into non-traditional professional fields. When does the campaign begin; How will the campaign be featured.