Fears over contaminated rice
- DON'T eat THIS or ELSE... Wadyka, Sally // Yoga Journal;Sep2015, Issue 276, p63
The article discusses harmful effects of foods on health including rice, genetically modified organisms (GMO) and carrageenan. Topics discussed include increased level of carcinogenic arsenic in rice, carcinogenic effect of herbicides from herbicide manufacturer Roundup that are used in GMO...
- White House Increases Oversight of GM Plantings. // Chemical Week;8/7/2002, Vol. 164 Issue 31, p7
Reports on a proposal by U.S. President George W. Bush to increase the quality of federal agency safety reviews of genetically modified crops before they are approved for field testing or commercial development. Purpose of the strategy; Benefits from the proposal.
- Seed Saving. // Ecologist;Mar2002, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p10
Provides information on a campaign launched in response to the contamination of genetically modified crops in Mexico.
- ATTACK OF THE MUTANT RICE. Gunther, Marc // Fortune;7/9/2007, Vol. 156 Issue 1, p74
The article reports on the damage done to the U.S. rice industry by the spread of genetically engineered rice into populations of regular rice. When the contamination became public, foreign markets like Europe and Asia, where opposition to transgenic foods is strong, stopped buying U.S. rice....
- GE RICE NOT NICE. // Herizons;Spring2008, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p11
The article discusses the report of Greenpeace International regarding the contamination of genetically modified rice with food staple in the U.S. It reveals that thousands of farmers, wholesalers and retailers suffered from export losses that totaled to $254 million due to the contamination. It...
- EU tightens its food borders. Wright, Richard // Irish Farmers Monthly;Nov2006, p21
The article reports that the European Commission (EC) will establish tougher controls on imports, following the emergence of rice contaminated with genetically modified varieties in the European Union. EC said that the first consignment came from the U.S., where contamination is believed to have...
- Panel cautions on GMOs. // European Chemical News;7/28/2003, Vol. 79 Issue 2063, p22
Reports on the findings of the GM Science Review Panel of Great Britain regarding transgenic crops. Most important issue on transgenic crops; Result of the field experiment conducted on transgenic crops; Conclusion of the panel on the risk posed by transgenic crops on humans.
- VIEW FROM THE POULTRY PLATFORM. // Poultry World;Feb2011, Vol. 165 Issue 2, p28
This article comments on a number of issues in the poultry industry in Great Britain as of February 2011, including genetically-modified chickens, supermarkets and dioxin contamination.
- Swiss soiled seed prompts tolerance question. Fürst, Ingeborg // Nature Biotechnology;Jul99, Vol. 17 Issue 7, p629
Identifies the need for European Union-wide government's tolerance standard for genetic contamination of food in wake of the controversy over genetically contaminated corn seeds. Reference to an adoption of standard for genetic purity of food by the government of Switzerland; Possible cause of...