Beware of Going Dark
- Determinants of privatization of public corporations: evidence from the Japanese experience. Mizutani, Fumitoshi; Uranishi, Shuji // Empirical Economics;Oct2010, Vol. 39 Issue 2, p515
The main purpose of this study is to find factors affecting privatization decisions. This study investigates the determinants of privatization by applying the probit model for a data set of special public corporations in Japan. In December 2001, the Japanese government made a resolution to...
- The burden of being public. Kahn, Jeremy // Fortune;5/26/2003, Vol. 147 Issue 10, p35
Reports on the decision of Wall Street firms in the U.S. to go private. Effect of regulations imposed by the U.S. government on firms; Efforts of regulators to separate stock research from investment banking; Impact of the increase in Nasdaq stock transactions on the firms.
- Privatisation earns Morocco $8.75bn in 11 years. // Middle East;May2005, Issue 356, p45
The article reports that Morocco's finance ministry has revealed that 66 Moroccan companies were fully or partly privatised between 1993 and 2005. Among companies included were Ittissalat Al Maghrib (Morocco Telecom) and Regie des Tabacs (The tobacco distribution company). These transactions...
- Buyback setback for Flight Centre. Hadley, Melissa // Travel Weekly Australia;3/2/2007, Issue 39, p1
The article reports on the issues regarding the reprivatization plan of Flight Centre. It has been mentioned that Australian Stock Exchange Ltd. Was approached by the company to put it in a trading halt as soon as it received proxy voting advice. This advice indicated that the Non-Founders...
- The Long-Run Stock Performance of Privatization IPOs. Seung-Doo Choi; Sang-Koo Nam // Multinational Finance Journal;Sep-Dec2006, Vol. 10 Issue 3/4, p223
This paper compares the long-run buy-and-hold returns of privatization initial public offerings (lPOs) to those of the domestic stock markets of respective countries using a sample of 241 privatization IPOs from 41 countries. The evidence indicates that the privatization IPOs significantly...
- Liquid assets. // Accountancy;Jan1989, Vol. 103 Issue 1145, p32
This article reports on the strong performance of 28 listed statutory water companies in the British stock market, as of January 1989. French and other companies have acquired stakes in the statutory water companies, which are at present obliged to supply consumers as cheaply as possible,...
- SouthFirst, Citing Costs, Going Private. Jackson, Ben // American Banker;2/27/2006, Vol. 171 Issue 38, p4
This article reports that SouthFirst Bancshares Inc. of Sylacauga, Ala., is going private. The $139 million-asset company said last week that it is delisting its shares from the American Stock Exchange, because the cost of being publicly traded is too high and the shares are traded too thinly to...
- Private makes perfect. Lamb, Tom // Director (00123242);Feb2001, Vol. 54 Issue 7, p42
Provides information on the condition of private-equity investment sector in Great Britain. Percentage of public-to-private deals; How the increase of interest rates affect the management buyout market; Factors surrounding institutional investments in the country.
- MEED EVENTS CALENDAR. // MEED: Middle East Economic Digest;10/7/2011, Vol. 55 Issue 40, p4
A calendar of events related to investment and business enterprises in 2011 is presented, including Oman Investment Forum 2011, Saudi Green Building Forum, and the 6th Annual Abu Dhabi Conference.