Waste gets the cold shoulder
- Research points to ceramic for safe containment of radioactive waste. // Ceramic Industry;Aug98, Vol. 148 Issue 9, p21
Focuses on the research conducted at Rutgers' Center for Ceramic Research on containment of radioactive wastes. Technology tested at the center; Tests on radiation resistance of ceramics.
- THE ENVIRONMENT: Watching Over Nuclear Waste. Early, Theresa S. // New Mexico (9780822540960);2003, p51
New Mexico's ties to nuclear science go back to the 1940s and to J. Robert Oppenheimer. The state's laboratories are still leaders in nuclear research, and the state has also become a leader in another important and related issue to store nuclear waste. Nuclear waste gives off harmful radiation...
- Manchester combines with Sellafield on nuclear centre. // Environmental Engineering;Dec2012, Vol. 25 Issue 6, p4
The article talks about a new centre to research the decontamination and safe storage of nuclear waste that is being established at the University of Manchester in England in collaboration with the operating firm Sellafield Ltd. as of December 2012.
- CZECH REPUBLIC. // Nuclear Waste News;3/12/2012, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p4
The article offers information on the research grants offered by the Radioactive Waste Depository Authority in Czech Republic for geological research in seven areas at the location of nuclear waste disposal sites.
- News in brief. // Nature;1/26/2006, Vol. 439 Issue 7075, p381
The article presents several research. Sania National Laboratories in New Mexico will lead the research and technical work at the nuclear-waste repository in Yucca Mountain. A chemist at the University of Munich who works on DNA repair has been awarded 25,000 pounds by the Philip Morris Foundation.
- Setback for safe storage of nuclear waste. Edwards, Rob // New Scientist;1/13/2007, Vol. 193 Issue 2586, p26
The article reports on the storage of nuclear waste, commenting that high-level waste is "vitrified" by combining it with liquid borosilicate glass and solidifying the mixture. Though this method makes the waste safer as it delays leakage of the radioactive material, geological activity could...
- The Dumping Ground. LaDuke, Winona // Multinational Monitor;Nov2004, Vol. 25 Issue 11, p21
Presents information on the Skull Valley Goshute reservation in Utah, where nuclear and toxic wastes are being dumped by the U.S. military. Government establishments in the vicinity that conduct military experiments; Plan of Private Fuel Storage to construct a private, above-ground dump on the...
- Motivation and Possibility for Reducing the Volume of Radwastes. Nechaev, A.; Chugunov, A. // Atomic Energy;Apr2014, Vol. 115 Issue 6, p386
The cost of conditioning and final disposal of radwastes is determined on the basis of an analysis of the officially accepted indices. It is shown that depending on the category the specific costs range from several hundreds of thousands to several millions of rubles per cubic meter of the...
- BARC Will Remove Radioactive Waste From Beltsville, Maryland Facility. // Nuclear Waste News;11/5/2012, Vol. 32 Issue 21, p5
The article offers information on the removal of radioactive waste from Beltsville, Maryland by Beltsville Agricultural Research Centre (BARC). It mentions BARC of digging up and removing radioactive waste buried at the facility since 1940. It adds that the waste to be located in 46 pits and is...