Last chance to right the climate
- If the world really is getting warmer, humanity should learn to adapt. Morrison, Lee // Report / Newsmagazine (National Edition);03/19/2001, Vol. 28 Issue 6, p30
Offers observations on global climate change. Thought that there is a lack of evidence that human activity has caused global warming; Mention of other instances in which the Earth's climate has changed; Opinion that climate is a cyclical phenomenon, and if there is a global temperature change,...
- global warming. // American Heritage Student Science Dictionary;2009, p152
The entry provides information on global warming. It refers to an increase in the average temperature of the Earth's atmosphere, especially a sustained increase great enough to cause changes in the global climate.
- Variability of Upper Pacific Ocean Overturning in a Coupled Climate Model. Merryfield, William J.; Boer, George J. // Journal of Climate;Mar2005, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p666
Variability of subtropical cell (STC) overturning in the upper Pacific Ocean is examined in a coupled climate model in light of large observed changes in STC transport. In a 1000-yr control run, modeled STC variations are smaller than observed, but correlate in a similar way with low-frequency...
- GOING TO EXTREMES. Rogers, Douglas // Conde Nast Traveler;May2004, Vol. 39 Issue 5, p93
Discusses how global warming can affect travel and tourism around the world. Causes of global warming; Environmental impact of global warming; Tourist destinations greatly affected by global warming.
- Twentieth-century trends in the thermal growing season in the Greater Baltic Area. Linderholm, Hans W.; Walther, Alexander; Deliang Chen // Climatic Change;Apr2008, Vol. 87 Issue 3/4, p405
Phenological data have shown an increase of ca. 10 days in European growing season length in the latter part of the twentieth century. In general, these changes have been associated with global warming. Here we present a study of thermal growing season (GS) trends in the Greater Baltic Area,...
- Changing Climate. Grosvenor, Gilbert M.; Fahey Jr., John M.; Johns, Chris; McNulty, William E. // National Geographic;Oct2007, Vol. 212 Issue 4, following p152
The author reports on climate changes which are occurring on Earth. Climatic changes which are occurring in the 21st century are happening at a faster rate than earlier climatic changes, for example the ones which occurred after the last Ice Age. According to the article, human activity is the...
- Assessing Impacts of Global Warming on Tropical Cyclone Tracks. Liguang Wu; Bin Wang // Journal of Climate;Apr2004, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p1686
A new approach is proposed to assess the possible impacts of the global climate change on tropical cyclone (TC) tracks in the western North Pacific (WNP) basin. The idea is based on the premise that the future change of TC track characteristics is primarily determined by changes in large-scale...
- Lake-level changes and fire history at Lagunillo del Tejo (Spain) during the last millennium: Climate or humans? López-Blanco, Charo; Gaillard, Marie-José; Miracle, María Rosa; Vicente, Eduardo // Holocene;May2012, Vol. 22 Issue 5, p551
Hydroclimatic variability is expected to be affected by global warming in the Mediterranean region where climate, fire and human activities are known to be interdependent. The latter is examined here for the past millennium by studying paleoenvironmental indicators from a sedimentary sequence at...
- reactions. Jones, Gareth; Fowler, Tim; Johns, Bill; Cox, Leslie // TCE: The Chemical Engineer;Feb2009, Issue 812, p59
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to articles in previous issues including one about climate change in the November 2008 issue and the effects of global warming, published in the December 2008/January 2009 issue.
- Brace yourself for a roller-coaster climate. Flindt, Charlie; Cousins, David // Farmers Weekly;4/16/2004, Vol. 140 Issue 16, p71
Predicts the climatic future in Great Britain as of April 2004. Explanation on global warming; Increase in carbon dioxide concentrations; Difference between climatic change and global warming.