Heads of the Class
- Boston Globe report says firefighters not meeting response time standards. // Fire Engineering;Apr2005, Vol. 158 Issue 4, p64
This article focuses on information related to firefighters not meeting response time standards. Barely over a third of fire departments nationwide are meeting national standards for response time, according to "Boston Globe," report. The newspaper based its findings on an analysis it made from...
- BUDGET BUTTRESS. Cochran, Kelvin J.; Crawford, Brian A. // Fire Chief;Jan2005, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p76
Focuses on the adoption of a detailed and descriptive five-year rolling master plan by the Shreveport Fire Department in Louisiana. Impact of the adoption on the department's financial opportunities; Focus of the master plan; Advantages of the plan.
- CERTIFICATION IS MORE THAN JUST A CERTIFICATE. Finley, Bob // Fire Chief;Sep2006, Vol. 50 Issue 9, p45
The article reports on the importance of the certification which provides verification that all fire service personnel has demonstrated proficiency and an ability to do his or her job in accordance with nationally recognized peer-developed standards in the U.S. Certification also validates...
- Fire Station 2010. Wilmoth, Janet // Fire Chief;Nov2004, Vol. 48 Issue 11, p6
Comments on architectural trends predicted for fire stations and buildings in the United States in 2010. Application of environment-friendly design and building solutions; Contribution of high technology such as fiber optics and wireless computers on the direction of construction for fire stations.
- CALENDAR. // Fire Chief;Nov2004, Vol. 48 Issue 11, p18
Presents a calendar of events relevant to fire departments in the United States compiled for November 2004. Seminar on the Understanding of the 2003 International Building Code; Change in the Fire Service Symposium in Phoenix, Arizona; Contact information.
- What Happens When Fire Companies Feud? Stittleburg, Philip // Fire Chief;Nov2004, Vol. 48 Issue 11, p26
Explains the consequences of instances when fire companies in the United States are involved in inter-departmental conflicts. Loss of the morale of the departments; Loss of stature in the community; Decrease in response effectiveness.
- NEW DELIVERIES. // Fire Chief;Nov2004, Vol. 48 Issue 11, p138
Presents updates on equipment deliveries in various fire departments in the United States compiled for November 2004. Bronto Skylift delivered for the University City Fire Department in Missouri; Rescue trailer delivered at the Kessler Air Force Fire Department in Biloxi, Mississippi.
- Get on the Grid. // Fire Chief;Nov2004, Vol. 48 Issue 11, p144
Interviews United States Fire A (USFA) Interoperability Team programs manager Woody Stratton about the importance of using the National Grid for the location reference purposes of fire departments in the United States. Explanation of the significance of the national grid; Ease of learning to use...
- Fire Corps holds first training session for advocates. // Fire Engineering;Aug2007, Vol. 160 Issue 8, p60
This article discusses how the Fire Corps Advocate Network held its first training session at the Ponderosa, Texas Fire Department. Among the advocates' functions are to present educational sessions and to serve as contacts between the fire departments and Fire Corps programs within their...