A rare cause of acute lower gastrointestinal bleeding
- Intermittent Gastrointestinal Bleeding in a Child: Leech Infestation. Rafeey, Mandana; Jabbari-Mogaddam, Yalda // Iranian Journal of Pediatrics;Dec2012, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p572
The article presents the case of a 9-year-old boy presented with 5-day history of nausea and vomiting of bloody material. An ear, nose and throat (ENT) examination showed the presence of a slimy black lesion, later detected as leech, in the pharynx. The leech was detached using a lidocaine...
- EDITOR'S QUIZ: GI SNAPSHOT: An infrequent cause of gastrointestinal bleeding. Spiller, Robin // Gut;Sep2006, Vol. 55 Issue 9, p1339
A quiz concerning a medical case of gastrointestinal bleeding is presented.
- The String Test for Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding--A New, Plastic Look. Johnson, Charles F. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Nov67, Vol. 67 Issue 5, p1115
Editorial. Comments on the modification of the fluorescein string test for localization of upper gastrointestinal bleeding. Principle behind the procedure; Advantages over other methods; Important factors in the care of bleeding patients.
- Replaced middle colic artery originating from the coeliac trunk. Maleux, Geert; Van Geet, Christel // Pediatric Radiology;Dec2010, Vol. 40, p121
The article offers information on a medical case involving a 12-year-old girl with a history of neonatal repair of lumbosacral meningomyelocoele, who underwent to catheter visceral angiography to examine her irregular lower gastrointestinal haemorrhage.
- Physician CME Questions. // Emergency Medicine Reports;4/2/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 8, p90
A quiz concerning the diagnosis of upper gastrointestinal bleeding is presented.
- A 45-YEAR-OLD MALE WITH UPPER GASTROINTESTINAL BLEEDING AFTER ALCOHOL ABUSE. Santos, Vitorino M.; Barcelos, Maria S.; Oliveira, Érika R. N. C.; Paz, Bruno C. S.; Almeida, Ana C. A. // Marmara Medical Journal;2010, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p323
A quiz concerning the diagnosis of a 45-year-old man with upper gastrointestinal bleeding due to alcohol abuse is presented.
- Colonoscopy: The initial test for acute lower gastrointestinal bleeding. Chaudhry, Vivek; Hyser, Matthew J.; Gracias, Vincente H.; Gau, Frederick C. // American Surgeon;Aug1998, Vol. 64 Issue 8, p723
Reports on the results of a study on the use of emergency colonoscopy for acute lower gastrointestinal (LGI) bleeding. Characteristics of LGI bleeding; Performance of the procedure called unprepped colonoscopy by surgical endoscopists relying on the cathartic effect of blood and liberal...
- Video of the Month. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Aug2014, Vol. 109 Issue 8, p1139
An internet video which shows the angiographic appearance of gastric variceal hemorrhage is presented.
- Upper gastrointestinal bleeding with a difficult endoscopy. Chen, Y.-Y.; Yen, H.-H.; Soon, M.-S. // Gut;Nov2007, Vol. 56 Issue 11, p1528
A quiz concerning the diagnosis for upper gastrointestinal bleeding through endoscopy is presented.
- Hemorragia digestiva alta secundaria a lesion de Dieulafoy. Rivera, Daysi Beatriz; Martínez, Julián David; Garzón, Martín; Rey, Mario H.; Pinto, Renzo; Lizarazo, Jorge; Marulanda, Juan; Molano, Juan // Revista Ciencias de la Salud;Dec2012, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p421
One patient with massive upper GI bleeding due to Dieulafoy vascular lesion treated at our institution is reported. In this case, adequate control of bleeding could not be achieved by endoscopic methods, and selective arteriography and embolization was required. A review of this uncommon cause...