Governance and Your Debt Rating
- ABOLITION OF THE CORPORATE DUTY TO CREDITORS. Hu, Henry T. C.; Westbrook, Jay Lawrence // Columbia Law Review;Oct2007, Vol. 107 Issue 6, p1321
The corporation's core objective is to further the interests of shareholders. But one judicially crafted exception has long existed. In many jurisdictions around the world, financial distress mandates a shift to a duty to creditors. In May 2007, the Delaware Supreme Court announced a modern law...
- The big vote at Aflac in 2008. Burr, Barry B. // Pensions & Investments;12/24/2007, Vol. 35 Issue 26, p10
In this article, the author comments on Aflack Inc.'s decision to offer its shareholders say-on-pay vote rights. The non-binding referendum will mark a significant advancement in corporate governance to give shareholders more influence with corporate boards on critical issues. Not many companies...
- Infoline. // NACD Directorship;Jul/Aug99, Vol. 25 Issue 7, p18
Presents news briefs on directorship-related issues worldwide as of July/August 1999. Update on shareholder rights plans; Shareholder voting guidelines from Great Britain; Rating of companies listed on major exchanges in Europe according to corporate governance standards.
- Factors Affecting the Value of the Stock Voting Right: Evidence from the Swiss Equity Market. Kunz, Roger M.; Angel, James J. // FM: The Journal of the Financial Management Association;Autumn96, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p7
Reports that Switzerland offers a natural setting for investigating factors affecting the value of the stock voting rights. Previous work on the value of corporate voting rights; Equity capital structure of Swiss companies; Data used in the study; Measurement of the premium in value of the...
- Business should act for all its stakeholders--before `the feds' do. Mahoney, Richard J. // NACD Directorship;Feb97, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p4
Focuses on the need for corporations to take heed of employee and other stakeholders' rights. Need to modify corporate behavior; Anger caused by executive stock-option gains; Broadening stock option participation.
- Double your pleasure. // Newsweek;5/9/1994, Vol. 123 Issue 19, p51
Describes the small bonuses for shareholders provided by many companies. Purchase of 100 shares of CML Group returns a ten percent discount on their NordicTrack exercise machines and Smith & Hawken garden equipment. What Wrigley gum offers.
- Stakeholder Rights and Corporate Governance: A Cross-National Study of Hostile Takeovers. Schneper, William D.; Guill�n, Mauro F. // Administrative Science Quarterly;Jun2004, Vol. 49 Issue 2, p263
We examine the role of three types of stakeholders in the uneven adoption of an organizational practice in different countries, arguing that organizational practices achieve widespread use only when they are consistent with the interests of the most powerful social actors as enshrined in legal...
- 'REALIST' STAKEHOLDER ANALYSIS IN DESIGN. Doherty, Mike // Visible Language;2009, Vol. 43 Issue 2/3, p114
The term 'stakeholder' is now applied almost ubiquitously in Western society, often serving to provide legitimation for a multiplicity of agendas. For designers there are profound implications for ethical conduct attached to the veracity of stakeholder consultation from which major schemes are...
- Dividend Policy, Shareholder Rights, and Corporate Governance. Jiraporn, Pornsit; Yixi Ning // Journal of Applied Finance;Fall/Winter2006, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p24
This study explores agency costs as a determinant of dividend policy. We examine how dividends are related to the strength of shareholder rights. The evidence reveals an inverse association between dividend payouts and shareholder rights, i.e. firms pay higher dividends when shareholder rights...