You've Been Slimed!
- Seafood gumbo a favorite during Lent. Fitzmorris, Tom // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);03/13/2000, Vol. 20 Issue 38, p35
Features seafood gumbo being served at various New Orleans, Louisiana restaurants. Classic old-style seafood gumbo taste and texture; Taste of green onions, parsley, thyme and bay leaves; Flavor of Louisiana-style hot sauce.
- A bowl of Black history: Gumbo, Part II. White, Joyce // New York Amsterdam News;2/3/2005, Vol. 96 Issue 6, p32
This article focuses on gumbo. Variations of this okra stew using shrimp or sausage or both, but always okra, are still popular in South Carolina, where African Americans played a key role in antebellum rice production, as well as in the region's famed plantation rice kitchens. For making duck...
- The Recipes. // Saveur;Oct2014, Issue 168, p61
The article presents several recipes for gumbo, including Creole Okra Gumbo, Fried Chicken and Andouille Gumbo, and Oxtail Gumbo.
- Talking SCHOP! Battle: Gumbo II. Harris, Kysha // New York Amsterdam News;12/12/2013, Vol. 104 Issue 50, p28
The author discusses various gumbo recipes, particularly her mother's recipe that starts with a roux and includes chicken, andouille sausage, stew beef, tomatoes, crab, shrimp and okra.
- Embracing Diversity. DRY, STANLEY // Louisiana Life;Jan/Feb2013, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p24
Several gumbo recipes are presented including crab and okra gumbo, steak and oyster gumbo, and chicken and smoked sausage gumbo.
- gumbo. Morton, Mark // Cupboard Love;1997, p149
An encyclopedia entry for the term "gumbo" is presented. It refers to a soup made thick by using okra. The term originated from Bantu, an African language, with the Bantu word for okra, being ochinggombo. The word was adopted by English in the early nineteenth century when the soup became a...
- A WORLD OF SOUPS. Walker, Ben // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;8/14/2009, Vol. 199 Issue 4590, p28
The article talks about different varieties of soups popular in Great Britain. According to a survey conducted by TNS, varieties such as Italian minestrone and Chinese chicken noodle are in the top 10 favorite soup flavors. Some of the most popular soups, include Borsht Soup, Goulash,...
- OKRA SOUP. Florio, Donna // Southern Living;Apr2005, Vol. 40 Issue 4, p192
Presents the recipe for Okra Soup.
- a to z A Guide to Louisiana Gumbos. Bienvenu, Marcelle // Louisiana Life;Winter2007/2008, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p38
The article presents information on gumbo and its availability in different kinds in Louisiana along with some recipes. Gumbo is a spicy, thick Creole soup composed of fish or shellfish, poultry, and vegetables in any variety of combinations. Historians state that gumbo is the West African term...