Remember the Past to Protect the Future
- TACTICS: THE LIMITING/ ENHANCING FACTOR FOR STRATEGIC DECISIONS. Brennan, Tom // Fire Engineering;Sep2005, Vol. 158 Issue 9, p134
Presents views and insights on the tactics of limiting or enhancing factor for strategic decisions in fire prevention in the U.S. Thoughts on the changes of tactics and strategies in fire prevention; Assessment of the current tactics by fire fighters in fire prevention.
- OFFIVER DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS ON A BUDGET. Shouldis, William // Fire Engineering;Jul2005, Vol. 158 Issue 7, p69
Focuses on the Philadelphia Fire Department's (PFD) pre-promotion and post-promotion phases of grooming fire fighting officers, which uses a reward point system based on associate and bachelor degrees. Budget cuts experienced by fire departments in the U.S. in 2003 and 2004; Establishment of the...
- REMOVE THE IDLH, NOT THE VICTIMS. Coleman, John "Skip" // Fire Engineering;Mar2005, Vol. 156 Issue 3, p176
This article focuses on the issue of staffing in the fire service. Most departments don't have that resource capability. The average response to a reported fire in a U.S. fire department would be 10 to 12 firefighters. In one scenario, one would have six to nine firefighters to accomplish that...
- RESCUE AND SQUAD COMPANY OPERATIONS. Hinkle, Daniel T. // Fire Engineering;Sep2005, Vol. 158 Issue 9, p32
Looks into the operations and missions of rescue and squad company of fire departments in the U.S. Assessment of the various types of companies and their specific equipment and apparatus; Details of the search and rescue, forcible entry, utility control, and salvage missions and operations;...
- "Rapid Preintervention.". GOPLIN, ROBERT // Fire Engineering;Oct2009, Vol. 162 Issue 10, p46
The article focuses on the issue of prevention of line-of-duty death (LODD) among firefighters through "rapid preintervention." The writer suggested that to prevent more LODD, the rapid intervention team (RIT) should be proactive rather than being reactionary in performing their duties during a...
- New Chief in Town. Wilmoth, Janet // Fire Chief;Oct2003, Vol. 47 Issue 10, p6
Discusses the changes undergone by the periodical "Fire Chief," in October 2003. Description of the magazine's new design; Transitions in the task of U.S. firefighters; Goal of the magazine to provide the best information on the firefighting sector to readers.
- Tom's Trumpet. Brace, Tom // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2008, Vol. 45 Issue 2, p46
The article presents the author's views on the adoption of the Fire Code in Minnesota. He says that while the Fire Code is adopted at the state level, the reality is that much of the actual code enforcement occurs at the local level. He cites that this is because the level of fire protection...
- Building a Landscape-Level Prescribed Fire Program. Ferguson, Joseph P. // Fire Management Today;Summer2005, Vol. 65 Issue 3, p16
Presents guidelines for the successful management of fires in the United States. Importance of breaking the suppression attitude among fire management officers; Consideration of the whole ecosystem in fire management; Inclusion of the entire workforce in fire management.
- Be Fire Safe! // Scholastic DynaMath;Oct2005, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p3
Reports that October is the National Fire Safety Month in the U.S. Importance for the firefighter to know how to take the heart beat of a fire victim.