Ranks 4th in Consumption: The Versatile Onion
- onion. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1631
A definition of the term "onion" which refers to the edible bulb of the onion plant is presented.
- THE FINEST KEEPERS. Woodier, Olwen // Organic Gardening (08973792);Jun88, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p60
Focuses on the storage of varieties of onions. Ability of onions to preserve itself; Long-storing varieties; Bulb of short-day onions; Growing tips; Harvest and cure of onions.
- EVALUATION OF ONION VARIETIES FOR GROWTH, YIELD AND QUALITY TRAITS UNDER AGRO-CLIMATIC CONDITIONS OF KYMORE PLATEAU REGION OF MADHYA PRADESH, INDIA. Dwivedi, Y. C.; Kushwah, S. S.; Sengupta, S. K. // Agricultural Science Digest;2012, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p326
Eight improved cultivars viz; VL-1, VL-3, Arka Niketan, Arka Kalyan, Pusa Red, Pusa White flat, Pusa Hybrid 107 and Pusa Hybrid 102 were tested in a randomized block Design with four replications for two years to study their performance under agro-climatic conditions of Jabalpur (M.P.). The...
- High-Quality and Long-Storability of F1 Hybrid Long-Day Onion 'Daekwanhwang'. Young-Seok Kwon; Kwang-Soo Cho; Eung-Ho Lee; Suk-Woo Jang; Jong-Taek Suh; Jeom-Soon Kim; Won-Bae Kim; Joo-Sung Im; Jong-Nam Lee // Korean Journal of Breeding Science;2013, Vol. 45 Issue 1, p61
A new F1 hybrid variety, 'Daekwanhwang', using a male sterile line was developed in Highland Agriculture Research Center (HARC), Rural Development Administration (RDA) at 2007. The cross was made between a male sterile line 'Manchuhwang' as a female parent and NIHA-5001 as a male parent in 2001....
- Multiplying Onions. JOBE, STANLEY // Texas Gardener;Jul/Aug2009, Vol. 28 Issue 5, p24
The article offers tips for growing onions in Texas. A pound of little bulbs must be placed into a well-drained soil and spacing must be 4-6 inches. To produce onions for Thanksgiving and Christmas cornbread dressing, the planting should be done in early August. They can be planted in a flower...
- Nitrogen and Intra-row Spacing Effects on Growth and Yield of Onion (Allium cepa L.). Aliyu, U.; Dikko, A. U.; Magaji, M. D.; Singh, A. // Journal of Plant Sciences;2008, Vol. 3 Issue 3, p188
Experiments were undertaken at the Usmanu Danfodiyo University Fadama Teaching and Research Farm, Sokoto in 2004 and 2005 dry seasons to determine the effect of different nitrogen levels (0,50, 100 and 150 kg N ha-1) and intra-row spacing (10, 15, 20 and 25 cm) on the growth and yield of onion....
- Shine Like A Bulb. SCHWARTZMAN, STEVEN // Wildflower (Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center);Spring2013, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p26
The article discusses the different species of wild onions and garlic. Onions and garlic belong to the genus Allium, which has about 700 species worldwide. Garlic is called Allium sativum by botanists while onion is commonly referred to as Allium cepa. The historical background of these bulbs is...
- Onion report shows gains and needs. // Western Farm Press Exclusive Insight;5/16/2013, p1
The article explores a national Pest Management Strategic Plan for dry bulb storage onions that revealed U.S. onion growers' adoption of integrated pest management practices. Western IPM Center Director Jim Farrar said that this update shows the good practices the industry is gaining. The...
- Water deficits hit onion losses. COCKSHULL, KEN // Horticulture Week;9/16/2011, p25
The article discusses the findings of the experiments regarding the impact of water deficits in onion growths, which found that restricted water availability causes delayed bulbing and produces lighter bulbs.