Affects Alfalfa, Clover, Radish Sprouts: FDA issues consumption warning
- Vegetable Medication. Berg, Michael; Brierly, Dean; Carlson, Mike; Donnelly, Allan; Kallen, Ben; Kindela, Jerry; Lee, Bobby; Nishi, Dennis; Thorpe, Mark; Weede, Tom // Men's Fitness;Jul2003, Vol. 19 Issue 7, p42
Presents ways of consuming broccoli to derive its preventative effects against cancer. Ways of eating the vegetable raw; Amount of the sulforaphanes of the broccoli sprouts; Tea containing sulforaphanes.
- FDA brochures on the hazards of eating raw shellfish. // Nutrition Health Review: The Consumer's Medical Journal;1994, Issue 71, p8
Reports on the United Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) warning on the effects of consumption of raw shellfish. Infections in liver disease and diabetes; Profiles of populations at risk; FDA contact information.
- Three Days Totally Raw. Terrace, Leanne // Alive: Canada's Natural Health & Wellness Magazine;Aug2002, Issue 238, p48
Focuses on the health benefits of eating raw food. Ways to prepare raw food meals; Impact of raw eating on heart disease and aging; Danger of processed foods. INSET: What Is the Ekaya Institute?.
- Avoiding the Humpty-Dumpty syndrome: Calif. puts eggs, salad together again. Allen, Robin Lee; Gould, Alan; Koteff, Ellen; Martin, Richard; Liddle, Alan; Carlino, Bill; Papiernik, Richard L.; Frumkin, Paul // Nation's Restaurant News;08/31/98, Vol. 32 Issue 35, p33
Editorial. Comments on the approval of a proposal in the California Legislature to permit restaurants to sell Caesar salads with raw eggs as long as they inform customers regarding the use of uncooked eggs as ingredients. Health concerns about the use of raw eggs; Chefs' arguments against the...
- Fear of sushi. Roach, Mary // Health (Time Inc. Health);Mar98, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p102
Focuses on the effects of eating raw fish or sushi. Experience of sushi eater Shumya Kamegai, director of the Meguro Parasitological Museum; Growth of sushi in the United States; Illness derived from eating sushi; Teachings from sushi masters; Existence of worms in sushi. INSET: Five facts...
- Can a raw-foods diet be balanced? Rosenberger, Jack // Vegetarian Times;May96, Issue 225, p84
Presents information on the use of a raw-foods diet and assesses if this type of diet can provide a balance nutrition. Proponents view concerning this type of diet; Advantages of a raw-food diet; Impact on nutritional content of food through various methods of cooking; Basics for mainstay of...
- The Benefits of RAW FOOD. Brazier, Brendan // Share Guide;Nov/Dec2006, Issue 88, p29
The author focuses on the health benefits acquired from eating raw foods. He claims that raw and sprouted foods are one of the most complete and nutritional foods, since they are essentially pre-digested food which have a higher biological efficiency value than whole seeds. It is inferred that...
- Raw Shellfish Poses Grave Risk for Tens of Millions. // Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter;May99, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p8
Reports on the health risk of eating raw shellfish. Information on the bacteria contained in raw mollusks; Significance of this finding on people with a liver condition; Other people who are vulnerable to the bacteria.
- Cook up safety precautions when serving raw fish. Parseghian, Pam // Nation's Restaurant News;06/02/97, Vol. 31 Issue 22, p33
Focuses on safety precautions in preparing and serving raw fish. Hazards of raw fish consumption; Inactivation of parasites through commercial freezing; Keeping fish clean, cold and moving by storing over ice or in a refrigerator set below 40 degrees; Avoiding cross-contamination; Special care...