`Let Them Grow Them': Calif. school increases kids' veg. consumption
- Show 'n' tell nutrition at school. Incantalupo Kuhner, Jeanne // Phi Delta Kappan;Apr2012, Vol. 93 Issue 7, p16
The article discusses the nutritional quality of school food in the U.S. and efforts to improve nutrition education and wellness policy. The article looks at the nutrition education at Martin Luther King, Jr. Middle School in Berkeley, California, called the Edible Garden which teaches students...
- The Edible Schoolyard. Rauber, Paul // Sierra;Nov/Dec97, Vol. 82 Issue 6, p24
Focuses on the Edible Schoolyard project, a garden and school lunch program at the Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School in Berkeley, California. Concept behind the project; Community participation; Benefits for school children.
- Reading, Writing & Radicchio. Evans, Karin // Organic Style;Sep/Oct2003, Vol. 3 Issue 5, p130
Highlights the success of the schoolyard-garden movement project at Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School in Berkeley, California. Benefits of the project to students; Comments from Chelsea Chapman, an assistant program coordinator for the project; Rewards of the project.
- Hungry for Change. Bogo, Jennifer // Audubon;Mar/Apr2002, Vol. 104 Issue 2, p30
Focuses on the student activities at the Edible Schoolyard Program of the Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School in Berkeley, California. Efforts of chef and restaurateur Alice Waters to develop the program; Introduction of organic gardening and healthy eating to students; Environmentalism among...
- The Edible Schoolyard. // Mothering;Jul/Aug98, Issue 89, p38
Focuses on the Edible Schoolyard program for students at the Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School in Berkeley, California. Details on the program; Number of students that participate in the program.
- FERTILIZING. // Southern Living;Jun2007, Vol. 42 Issue 6, p82
The article presents tips for applying fertilizers in the vegetable garden. Gardeners could feed tomatoes, squash, peppers and tomatillos with composted manure, fish emulsion or a slow-release granular fertilizer to promote plant growth and vegetable production. Some of the fertilizers good for...
- Garden flourishes at Golda Och Academy. // New Jersey Jewish News;7/21/2016, Vol. 70 Issue 29, p27
The article reports that middle school students at Golda Och Academy in West Orange, New Jersey participation in the cultivation of the vegetable and flower garden created by teacher Rabbi Shira Johnston.
- In and Of the World. PETERS, CHRIS // Education Canada;Sep2013, Vol. 53 Issue 4, p57
The article discusses the importance of connecting students with nature and the community. It explores the use of vegetable garden plots program as an opportunity for intergenerational dialogue between students and older people. It highlights the need for extracurricular activities where...
- Seed A Healthy Heart. // Better Homes & Gardens;Feb2007, Vol. 85 Issue 2, p204
The article offers tips on planting on vegetables that may reduce heart disease risk. Associate professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, Mary Meck Higgins points out that the best garden mix includes a variety of colors. Several vegetables that are easy to grow and contain...