Wrestling with evidence-based medicine
- Health check. SNYDERMAN, NANCY // Good Housekeeping;Mar99, Vol. 228 Issue 3, p62
Presents information on various health-related issues across the United States. Suggestions for patients who are contemplating sending an e-mail to their doctors; Increase in the number of Americans with type 2 diabetes; Prescription for yeast infections.
- Minerva. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);8/25/2001, Vol. 323 Issue 7310, p462
Presents news briefs related to medicine as of August 25, 2001. Food poisoning in Great Britain as a result of fish and shellfish; Gift giving from patients to doctors; Risk of type 2 diabetes among workers in Japan; Others.
- Physician-Patient Relationship in Type 2 Diabetes. Bui, Thuy // JGIM: Journal of General Internal Medicine;Oct2012, Vol. 27 Issue 10, p1242
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "A Qualitative Study of Perceived Responsibility and Self-Blame in Type 2 Diabetes: Reflections of Physicians and Patients," by E. A. Beverly and colleagues in the 2012 issue.
- Retinopathy in `new' diabetics is more common than we thought. // Modern Medicine;Aug95, Vol. 63 Issue 8, p27
Reports on the prevalence of retinopathy in patients diagnosed with noninsulin-dependent diabetes. Advice that patients with retinopathy should be examined every 6 months; Study of 5,000 patients with noninsulin-dependent diabetes for nine years.
- Exercise therapy for type II diabetics. Iverson, Susan // American Fitness;Jan/Feb96, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p24
Discusses the nature, type and health aspects of non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) or type II diabetics. Pathophysiology of the disease; Benefits of exercise for type II diabetics; Weight reduction and exercise for type II diabetics; Mechanisms of response; Program development.
- Learning about type II diabetes. // Patient Care;2/15/1995, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p125
Presents information on type II diabetes. Causes; Risk factors; Treatment; Importance of diet and exercise.
- Autonomic impairment starts early in type II diabetes. // Patient Care;2/15/1995, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p134
Reports on a study of patients with type II diabetes in Belfast, Northern Ireland, showing that autonomic neuropathy may occur earlier in the course of the disease. Implications of measurement of digital-flow responses.
- The fetid foot. Piziak, Veronica K.; Test, Victor J. // Patient Care;4/30/1996, Vol. 30 Issue 8, p72
Presents the case of a 70-year-old male who has had type II diabetes mellitus for years. Why his right great toe was amputated; Three-day history of edema, erythema, and purulent drainage of the fourth and fifth right toes, and cellulitis over dorsum of right foot; What radiographs revealed;...
- Nutritional disease. Broadhurst, Leigh // Total Health;May/Jun97, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p35
Details on Type II diabetes which is also known as `adult-onset diabetes.' Major causes of Type II diabetes related to processed-food, agriculture-based diet; Prevention of Type II diabetes; Information on essential fatty acid; Roles of trace element in diabetes; Certain medicinal plants that...