- New statute in California cuts women some slacks. Wood, Daniel B. // Christian Science Monitor;1/3/95, Vol. 87 Issue 26, p3
Comments on the statute in California concerning wearing of pants by women to their workplace. Complaints of women on their dress code.
- Sin Taxes and Sindustry. HOFFER, ADAM J.; SHUGHART II, WILLIAM F.; THOMAS, MICHAEL D. // Independent Review;Summer2014, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p47
The article discusses the two motives for sin taxes, refers to the sumptuary taxes imposed on certain goods and services. The motives of sin taxes are to offset the costs imposed to others by sinners and the paternal instinct to eliminate and reduce sinful behavior. An overview of the standard...
- Clothing Rules. Hennessey, Gail Skroback // Appleseeds;Dec2001, Vol. 4 Issue 4, p26
Focuses on the clothing rules called the Sumptuary Laws in the medieval times. Exemplification of social status; Assignment of colors to different groups; Consideration of the king of France as the record holder of numerous buttons.
- Muslim women arrested under law aimed at KKK. // Jet;10/07/96, Vol. 90 Issue 21, p47
Provides an account of how two Muslim women were arrested in Portsmouth, Virginia in violation of a law against masks directed at the Ku Klux Klan. The exemption of the law for those who wear masks for religious reasons; The apology issued by Commonwealth Attorney Martin Bullock.
- Insider Trading. Coyle, Jay // Yachting;May2013, Vol. 213 Issue 5, p128
The article provides the author's view on issues related to yacht ownership and tax bill in the U.S.
- Sardinia's Tax Attack. // Yachting;Dec2006, Vol. 200 Issue 6, p34
The article discusses the government of Sardinia, Italy decision to impose a tax on all yachts visiting their ports.
- Troubled waters. Laurence, Michael // BRW;6/19/2003, Vol. 25 Issue 23, p72
Reports on the taxation of charter yachts in Australia. Final tax ruling on charter yachts issued by the commissioner of taxation, Michael Carmody; Australian Taxation Office's attempt to formally interpret a provision of the Tax Act that was introduced by the Whitlam Government to deny...
- Sumptuary Law in Italy, 1200-1500 (Book). Frick, C. C. // English Historical Review;Jun2004, Vol. 119 Issue 482, p777
Reviews the book "Sumptuary Law in Italy, 1200-1500" by Catherine Kovesi Killerby.
- Social and religious controls in pre-revolutionary France: The beginnings of modernity. Berkovitz, Jay R. // Jewish History;Mar2001, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p1
Focusing on social and religious controls enacted by the kehillot of northeastern France in the ancien rï¿½gime , this article examines the dynamics of social change in the century preceding the Revolution. At the heart of this study is the proposition that Metz and Alsace represent two...