The garbage stops here
- Parallel tracks. Geiselman, Bruce // Waste News;6/25/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p19
Reports on the increasing popularity of rail hauling waste to landfills as United States trash haulers and railroads combine to reach regional landfills and avoid congested roadways. Waste hauling revenue of rail companies; Trend toward regional landfills fueling the railroads' popularity.
- Judge Throws Out Trash Ban. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;02/21/2000, Vol. 244 Issue 7, p46
Reports on the ruling of United States District Court Judge James R. Spencer in Richmond, Virginia regarding a law banning out-of-state solid waste shipments to state landfills. Reasons for thrashing the law; Garbage shipments received by Virginia per year; Companies that operate landfills in...
- Mo.'s waste, diversion on rise. Johnson, Jim // Waste News;9/2/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 9, p6
Reports the diversion of materials from landfills in Jefferson City, Missouri. Growth in waste generation; Estimates per capita daily waste generation; Decline of the per capita waste disposal.
- SAN FRAN JAM. Averett, Steven // Waste Age;Apr2009, Vol. 40 Issue 4, p6
The article presents information on status of the landfill capacity of San Francisco, California. According to city documents, the city could reach its contracted quota at the Altamont Landfill as early as 2014. In response to the issue, the city has accepted bids from three landfill operators...
- THE STATE OF GARBAGE IN AMERICA. Goldstein, Nora // BioCycle;Apr2000, Vol. 41 Issue 4, p32
Part I. Presents `BioCycle' magazine's 2000 survey of the United States' municipal solid waste (MSW) disposal and incineration. Amount of MSW generated; MSW landfill trends; Number of operating incinerators; Refuse transfer stations. INSET: The State Of Garbage In America Report.
- Occurrence of phenols in leachates from municipal solid waste landfill sites in Japan. Yasundo Kurata; Yusaku Ono; Yoshiro Ono // Journal of Material Cycles & Waste Management;Sep2008, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p144
Abstractï¿½ï¿½The concentrations of 41 phenols in leachates from 38 municipal solid waste (MSW) landfill sites in Japan were measured. The main phenols detected in leachates were phenol, three cresols, 4-tert-butylphenol, 4-tertoctylphenol, 4-nonylphenol, bisphenol A, and some...
- AGGREGATING ORGANICS TO TAP FERTILIZER MARKETS. Greer, Diane // BioCycle;May2010, Vol. 51 Issue 5, p42
The article looks at the Brown County Waste Transformation Initiative (BCWTI), a public-private partnership on aggregating and processing organic wastes into saleable fertilizer products in Wisconsin. It notes that the initiative, which was formed in 2008, is a stakeholder group comprised of...
- Unilever Makes Strides with 100% Zero Waste to Landfill. // Beauty Packaging;Jun2013, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p14
The article looks at the announcement made by Unilever United States and Canada that all of its manufacturing and non-manufacturing facilities reuse, recycle or recover waste to achieve zero waste to landfill.
- Gains and Losses from Transfers of Solid Waste. Highfill, Jannett; Mcasey, Michael // International Advances in Economic Research;May2004, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p123
Municipal solid waste is often transferred to landfills in other regions or states. While municipalities frequently resist imports, the interpretations of the Interstate Commerce Clause require that landfills accept waste regardless of its origin. This may require importers to act in ways that...