Achilles Club Ties into Street
- Team Semper Fi Wounded Veterans Compete For Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund. Sellitti, Alicia // Palaestra;2013, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p50
The article discusses the highlights of the 37th Annual Marine Corps Marathon held in Washington, D.C. on October 31, 2012. It notes that over 80 wounded veterans from Team Semper Fi joined 1,000 other competitors to raise money and sponsorships for Semper Fi Fund and bring awareness to the...
- Set, spike -- Sarajevo's `sitting' volleyball team plays to win. Rohde, David // Christian Science Monitor;7/11/95, Vol. 87 Issue 157, p7
Looks at the sitting volleyball team of Sarajevo, `Spid,' which consists of players who became physically handicapped during the Bosnian conflict. Practice sessions undertaken by the team; Other sitting volleyball teams in the world.
- Leaving disability sport. // Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology;Dec1997, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p441
Presents a summary of the article `Retirement from Disability Sport: A Pilot Study,' by G.D. Malone, L.A. VanVlack, S. Nelson, found in `Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly,' Volume 13.
- Triumph Over Adversity. Lydersen, Kari // Swimming World & Junior Swimmer;Aug2000, Vol. 41 Issue 8, p20
Focuses on the social significance of the 2000 United States Swimming Disability Championships.
- National Sports Festival. // Exceptional Parent;Apr2003, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p19
Provides information on the National Disability Sports Alliance's National Sports Festival, to be held on June 22-28, 2003, in New London, Connecticut. Festival activities and competitions; Contact information.
- Wilderness on wheels. LaFrenierre, Jeff // Backpacker;Sep93, Vol. 21 Issue 7, p15
Features the Wilderness on Wheels, an organization whose mission is to construct a wooden wheelchair pathway through the Kenosha Pass in Denver, Colorado. Working to make the wilderness accessible for the disabled; Foundation in 1986 by Roger West; Rate of construction; Contact information.
- Physical activity participation. // Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology;Jun1999, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p183
Cites a study by R. and A. Lockwood in volume 44(4) of the `ACHPER Healthy Lifestyle Journal,' on the participation in physical activity among a mix of able-bodied individuals and people with varying degrees of physical disabilities. Difference in degree of satisfaction between those with...
- Motivation to participate of divers with and without disabilities. Yarwasky, Lauri; Furst, David M. // Perceptual & Motor Skills;Jun96, Vol. 82 Issue 3, p1097
Examines the reasons why athletes with disabilities participate in leisure sports. Importance of fun of performing the task; Emotional response from participating in the sport; Emotional aspect of participation; Similarities among the incentives to participate for able-bodied divers and divers...
- Paralympians in double victory to get full Olympic prize. // Michigan Citizen;9/23/2012, Vol. 34 Issue 46, pA2
The article reports on the victory of Paralympian athletes of the team South Africa, in which they took home 29 medals, including eight gold, at the Olympic Games in London, England.