The usefulness of bone marrow aspiration in the diagnosis of Niemann-Pick disease type C in infantile liver disease
- Niemann - Pick disease associated with hemophagocytic syndrome. Karaman, Serap; Urganci, Nafiye; Kutluk, G�nsel; �etinkaya, Feyzullah // Turkish Journal of Hematology;Dec2010, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p303
Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) is a disease characterized by phagocytosis of blood cells by macrophages within the lymphoreticular tissue. It can develop secondary to some diseases or be familial as a result of genetic mutations. Niemann-Pick disease (NPD) is a very rare lipid storage...
- NEEDLE BIOPSY OF THE LIVER IN INFANCY AND EARLY CHILDHOOD. Stowens, Daniel // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Mar1960, Vol. 33 Issue 3, p294
Discusses a study on the use of needle biopsy in infancy and childhood in detecting the range of hepatic diseases to which the child is susceptible. Symptoms of liver diseases in children; Analysis of the effects or complications caused by needle biopsy in patients; Comments on the inefficiency...
- Infant with Type A Niemann Pick Disease and Undetectable Niemann Pick Cells in Bone Marrow. Mukherjee, Sharmila; Pandey, Meenu; Kapoor, Seema; Priya, T // Indian Pediatrics;Jun2012, Vol. 49 Issue 6, p490
Bone marrow aspiration is the preliminary investigation in Niemann Pick disease type A when enzyme assays and mutation studies are unavailable. We report an infant with typical phenotype and enzyme deficiency, but undetectable Niemann Pick cells in the bone marrow. A new mutation R542X in SMPD...
- Aspiration Code. Nieuwenhuis Jr., Edward; Gilhooly, Joan // Podiatry Management;Nov/Dec2012, Vol. 31 Issue 9, p24
Two letters to the editor are presented which are concerned with the billing code that a podiatrist would sue for bone marrow aspiration.
- Hepatosplenomegaly, pancytopenia, coagulopathy: Big words about a feverish infant. Woreta, Fasika; Lockman, Justin; Heldrich, F. J.; Santosham, Mathuram; Resar, Linda M. S.; Siberry, George K. // Contemporary Pediatrics;Oct2005, Vol. 22 Issue 10, p26
This article presents a case study of hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) in a 2-month-old boy. Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis, also known as hemophagocytic syndrome, encompasses a heterogeneous group of disorders that share a nonspecific clinical picture comprising fever,...
- Dijagnoza multiplog mijeloma na osnovu materijala dobijenog perkutanom iglenom biopsijom pluca. Bokun, Radojka; Tatomirovic, Zeljka; Skuletic, Vesna; Plavec, Goran; Ristic, Labud; Stefanovic, Dara // Vojnosanitetski Pregled: Military Medical & Pharmaceutical Journ;May/Jun2004, Vol. 61 Issue 3, p327
The patient presented in this paper was admitted to the hospital for the evaluation of radiologlcally revealed shadow in both lungs. In the course of diagnostic procedures, fine needle aspiration biopsy of the intrathoracic mass was performed. Cytologic analysis of the smear was performed...
- Marrow Iron. Ellis, L.D.; Jensen, W.N.; Westerman, M.P. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Jul64, Vol. 61 Issue 1, p44
Examines iron stores in consecutive unselected marrow sections obtained from patients by a modified needle biopsy technique. Incidence and occurrence of iron depletion; Relationship to various disorders; Analysis of serum iron and total iron-binding capacity.
- I shouldn't be alive: bone marrow biopsy. Chavanis, Nicolas; Frieh, Jean-Philippe; Bougon, David; Costache, Victor S. // European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery;Mar2013, Vol. 43 Issue 3, p653
The article presents a case study of a 52-year old woman who was referred for bone marrow biopsy but due to excessive bleeding during the biopsy she has referred for computed tomography (CT), which shows an aortic injury.
- ANALOGY OF BONE MARROW ASPIRATION AND TREPHINE BIOPSY; MARROW INFILTRATION FOR STAGING. T. M., Roshan; V. R., Naik; H., Rosline; M., Rapiaah // Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences;Jan2006 Supplement, Vol. 13, p204
PURPOSE : It is recommended that bone marrow aspiration should not be used as a standard for staging purpose of the disease including for the assessment of the marrow infiltration by the primary disease. However in practice bone marrow aspiration and trephine biopsy are carried out together....