Health of rural Canadians lags behind urban counterparts
- Liberal musings on health care. Kondro, Wayne // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;11/7/2006, Vol. 175 Issue 10, p1189
The article reviews a debate on Canadian health care system among contenders for the Liberal Party leadership, initiated by Canadian Medical Association Journal. The contenders presented their views on various issues including shortage of physicians, soaring drug prices and lack of clear...
- Importance of relative measures in policy on health inequalities. Low, Allan; Low, Anne // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);4/22/2006, Vol. 332 Issue 7547, p967
The article reports on Great Britain's health policy objective to reduce inequalities in health by improving the health of the poorest fastest. The article discusses methods for measuring absolute gaps in health outcomes and concludes that they yield a misleading impression of progress. It also...
- Romney to Obama: Why haven't you called? O'Brien, Michael // Hill;7/23/2009, Vol. 16 Issue 88, p24
Two blogs from Eric Zimmermann and Michael O'Brien related to health care reform in 2009 and criticisms of Senator Jim DeMint on President Barack Obama's spending plans in the U.S. are discussed.
- Men closing gap with women in life expectancy. // Infomat: A Weekly Review;10/3/2003, p4
Presents information on the rate of life expectancy at birth in Canada. Difference in life expectancy between males and females; Appraisal of death rates; Information on common causes of death in Canada; Reasons behind the reduction of mortality rates in the country.
- The Strenuous U.S. // Time;12/3/1951, Vol. 58 Issue 23, p59
The article reports that while the death rate in the U.S. is one of the lowest in the world, Americans cannot expect to live longer beyond the age of 45 compared with people from other countries, such as Denmark, Norway and Canada.
- Death rates in Russia rise dramatically. Wise, Jacqui // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);08/16/97, Vol. 315 Issue 7105, p386
Reports on the increase in death rates in Russia since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, particularly in deaths related to alcohol and as a result of accidents and violence. Magnitude and steepness of the fluctuations in mortality rates and life expectancy; Gender differences in...
- Rural health report 'more of the same.'. Yeats, Jodi // New Zealand Doctor;3/10/2010, p2
The article reports that the Rural General Practice Network in New Zealand has described the National Health Committee's "Rural Health: Challenges of Distance, Opportunities for Innovation" report as more of the same citing life expectancy and other health measures similar for rural and urban...
- Influence of Homicide on Racial Disparity in Life Expectancy--United States, 1998. // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;9/14/2001, Vol. 50 Issue 36, p780
Summarizes the results of the analysis of 1998 mortality files from the National Center for Health Statistics in the United States. Number of years difference in life expectancy (LE) between blacks and whites; Proportion of the causes of death contributing to differences in LE; Difference of LE...
- Health care reform means challenges, opportunities in rural areas. Traynor, Kate // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;1/15/2011, Vol. 68 Issue 2, p102
The article reports on the health care reform in rural America, in which it is about providing better and cost-efficient care. It says that pharmacists ensure correct drug selection for patients, measure quality outcomes, and use health information technology to monitor patient care in the...