Database finds safer options
- University Launches Database for Tracking State Chemical Regulations. Sissell, Kara // Chemical Week;10/27/2008, Vol. 170 Issue 33, p35
The article reports on the release of an online database by the University of Massachusetts (UMass) at Lowell that enables users to track state chemical regulations. The database includes bills that are pending, were passed into law or have failed. The database will help legislators and the...
- Healthier housekeeping. McIntosh, Claire // Heart & Soul;Oct/Nov96, Issue 17, p28
Presents some common household cleaning products causing health problems in the United States and suggests several less toxic alternatives. Oven cleaners and drainage openers; Wall-and-floor cleaners; Furniture and shoe polishes; Spot removers; Mothballs; Disinfectants.
- pharmaceuticals & fine chemicals. // Chemical Week;10/6/2008, Vol. 170 Issue 31, p23
This section offers news briefs on the pharmaceutical and fine chemicals sectors as of October 2008. Chiral Quest will build a cGMP pilot plant and process development center in the BioBay zone, Jiangsu province in Suzhou Industrial Park, China. The University of Massachusetts in Lowell has...
- Tips on How to Select & Use Them: Safe Chemicals. Riell, Howard // FoodService Director;07/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 7, p144
Discusses safety tips in using chemicals to clean and sanitize food service facilities. Information provided by the chemical's material safety data sheet; Importance of training employees who are going to be involved with handling chemicals; Example of non-toxic sanitizers. INSET: Excerpt From...
- A university's mission: Responding to community needs. Rahmeier, Paul W. // Education;Spring98, Vol. 118 Issue 3, p323
Features the University of Massachusetts Lowell (UML). Brief history of the university; Goals of UML; Information on the research centers and interdisciplinary councils of the university; Discussion on its programs focusing on schools.
- Cleaning Up for Safety. // Current Health Kids;Mar2011, Vol. 34 Issue 7, p5
The article offers tips on how to keep children away from household chemicals particularly packing cleaning products and other chemicals safely.
- Bar developed to reduce cholesterol. // Candy Industry;Dec95, Vol. 160 Issue 12, p10
Reports on the development of a candy bar that reduces cholesterol by the researchers at the University of Massachusetts at Lowell, Massachusetts. Slight elevation in cholesterol levels; Cardiobars; Composition of the candy bar; Intention of taking the place of a meal; Testing of the bars at...
- Firms gain access to stereolithography R&D. Blakney, Dorrie Alderman // Plastics News;9/16/1996, Vol. 8 Issue 29, p65
Reports that the Institute for Plastic Innovation on the Lowell campus of the University of Massachusetts is bringing stereolithography research and development closer to plastics processors and original manufacturers. Use of computer-design methodology and laser technology; Problem of keeping...
- Arrest Warrant Issued for Former UMass Student Nikhil Dhar. // India -- West;1/28/2011, Vol. 36 Issue 10, pA28
The article presents a report from the Lowell Sun which reveals that former University of Massachusetts Lowell student Nikhil Dhar will be arrested if he returns to U.S. after being deported to India for stabbing his professor over a bad grade.