Still in Its Infancy, Open Source LMS Gains Traction on Campuses
- Report Card. // NEA Today;May/Jun2009, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p12
The article profiles several school administrators and districts. Oregon Governor Ted Kulongoski is chastised for suggesting that public school employees should work for free. The Forsyth County school district is applauded for saving more than a million dollars after deciding to use free...
- DESIGNING AN INTERACTIVE USER-GUIDE FOR MOODLE. TERNAUCIUC, Andrei; ONITA, Mihai; IVANC, Daniel; MOCOFAN, Muguras // eLearning & Software for Education;2011, p1
There are many advantages to open-source software: no licence fees, freedom to adapt the code to suit one's needs and (usually) a community of enthusiasts behind it ready to help out. As far as open source Learning Content Management Systems go, Moodle is probably the best known and most used...
- Get it together with Gaim. Mills, Ashton // Australian PC User;Mar2007, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p86
The article evaluates the Gaim open source program for both Windows and Linux.
- Open Source Presents Benefits to Educators. Kim, Anne H. // T H E Journal;Aug2002, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p14
Outlines the benefits and advantages of open source applications for educators. Features of the StarOffice 6.0 computer software from Sun Microsystems; Announcement of the Taiwanese and German governments to encourage open source projects; Function and uses of open source software.
- Open Source Licensing: Virus or Virtue? Nadan, Christian H. // Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal;Spring2002, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p349
Focuses on the open source licensing. Enforceability of copyleft provision of the open source license; Implication of avoiding undesired open source tainting for software propriety; Usefulness of open source licensing in establishing industry standard.
- Open source's future is secure. Darnell, Ed // Computer Weekly;4/11/2002, p20
Focuses on the advantages of open source software licensing in Great Britain. Increase of license revenue; Reduction of support costs; Development of the consumer base.
- Open Source Standardization: The Rise of Linux in the Network Era. West, Joel; Dedrick, Jason // Knowledge, Technology & Policy;Summer2001, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p88
To attract complementary assets, firms that sponsor proprietary de facto compatibility standards must trade off control of the standard against the imperative for adoption. For example, Microsoft and Intel in turn gained pervasive adoption of their technologies by appropriating only a single...
- cu-megablog.blogspot.com. Agnese, Braulio // Architect;Jan2007, Vol. 96 Issue 1, p34
This article offers information on the Web site of MEGAblog, an open-source model of education, which was developed by the students of Ronald Rael, an assistant professor of architecture at the Clemson University in South Carolina.
- On Openness. Kaser, Dick // Computers in Libraries;Feb2009, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p4
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one by Kim Griggs on how Oregon State University has used open source software to create tools that its librarians can use to create interactive course guides and another by Terence Huwe about a blogging platform for...