Portland schools ban a la carte
- IN MIDWEST, FLORIDA: SCHOOLS TEST PRODUCE PILOTS. // FoodService Director;8/15/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 8, p12
Reports on the launching of school free fruit and vegetable initiatives in different states in the U.S. in fall 2002. Features of the initiative; Aim of the program.
- Super Sides. Weisberg, Karen // FoodService Director;3/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p38
This article looks at the interest of food service operators in the U.S. to use side dishes as sources of vitamins and minerals. According to the author, operators are using fresh vegetables, salad greens and grains to provide nutrition to their customers. She cites some restaurants and schools...
- TESTING NEW ENTREES: School widens menu choices. // FoodService Director;04/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p2
Reports on the increase in student participation in the school food service implemented at the Decatur City School District in Bainbridge, Georgia. Details on the service.
- PART OF LONG-TERM PLAN: Fla. school co-op adds 6 dists. // FoodService Director;04/15/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p1
Reports that several North Central Florida school districts have joined a food purchasing cooperative created by the food service departments of Alachua and Putnam County school districts. Why the districts join the cooperative; Activities of the cooperative.
- Nutritious Outsourcing. McClure, Ann // District Administration;Oct2006, Vol. 42 Issue 10, p78
The article addresses the decision of Duval County Public Schools to outsource its food services, in its quest to provide high quality, nutritious meals to students without raising lunch prices. The school district teamed with food service provider Aramark for centralized meal production. Before...
- Cornish school meals service back in-house. Walker, Ben // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;6/26/2003, Vol. 192 Issue 4279, p8
Reports the return of in-house school meal services at the school district in Cornwall County, England. Estimates on the amount of the deal won by the county council's Commercial Services; Schedule of the contract's execution; Reason behind the awarding of the contract to Commercial Services.
- WHERE IMAGE SPELLS R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Schuster, Karolyn // Food Management;Mar2001, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p42
Focuses on a community outreach program by the foodservice department of the school district in Volusia County, Florida. Growth strategies by School Way Cafe director Christine Farneti; Involvement of chefs in the schools; Foray into culinary competitions; School district's commitment to a...
- Economically Innovative. Schilling, Becky // FoodService Director;11/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 11, p18
The article highlights the contributions of nutrition services director Sue Bettenhausen in developing the foodservice program at Scottsdale Unified School District in Arizona. In addition to the physical changes, Bettenhausen made a time change. Now between 40 and 50 students at a time are...
- IN WAKE OF $4.5-MIL. JUDGMENT: School district switches to precooked beef for liability. // FoodService Director;05/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p10
Explains why the Finley School District in Kennewick, Washington buys precooked meal following a food poisoning incident. Comments about product liability; Background of the food poisoning incident; Impact of the incident to the food service program of the school district.