The First Water-Privatization Debate: Colorado Water Corporations in the Gilded Age
- Water: Resource or Commodity? Modraska, John // Journal: American Water Works Association;May2006, Vol. 98 Issue 5, p86
This article discusses an ongoing debate on whether water is a natural resource to be used to serve the public interest or a commercial product that can be purchased or sold. A model is described that brings together a respect for water and options for fair and efficient distribution to urban,...
- Haryana may privatize water distribution. // TIDEE (TERI Information Digest on Energy & Environment);Jun2008, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p182
The article reports that the government of Haryana, India is considering handing over the water treatment and distribution system to private companies. It references an article published in the April 2, 2008 issue of "Hindustan Times." According to the article, this move is aimed at assuring...
- Sustaining water supply through a phased community management approach: lessons from Ghana's 'oats' water supply scheme. Opare, Service // Environment, Development & Sustainability;Dec2011, Vol. 13 Issue 6, p1021
Water sector reforms in Ghana and in other developing countries resulted in the adoption of the community management approach for water systems in an effort to ensure better management and service delivery. However, community management is also plagued internal differences, paucity of technical...
- Discussion. Barraqué, Bernard // Water Policy;2014, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p422
No abstract available.
- Summary of the Discussion. // OECD Journal of Competition Law & Policy;2006, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p107
The article discusses many aspects of competition and regulation in the water sector including its issues. According to chairman, Alberto Heimler, water is less likely to face a stiff competition. It is a common view that the various aspects of water supply are a natural monopoly. Information on...
- Canada's Water Rights. Smith, Lewis V. // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Apr1969, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p38
The article shares the author's contributions to the discussion of the North American Water and Power Alliance (NAWAPA) water scheme. The author said that Canada would have to oppose the scheme because it will split the country into two parts that would be almost impossible to join by rail or...
- Water, Water Everywhere... Stryker, Rick // Camping Magazine;Sep/Oct2002, Vol. 75 Issue 5, p57
Looks at several basic design and operating parameters for small water systems. Pros and cons of having a public supply of water; Monitoring requirements for operating a community water supply; Ways that pressure can be supplied to the network.
- 1/4 penny sales tax. // Las Vegas Business Press;07/27/98, Vol. 15 Issue 30, Construction Connection p8
Focuses on the possible implementation of the 1/4 sales tax to pay for the water delivery system in Las Vegas, Nevada. Options for the 1/4 penny sales tax; Taxation of the tourists.
- Locals call for federal support on water bill. Preston, Mark // American City & County;Apr2001, Vol. 116 Issue 5, p14
Deals with the appeal of city and county leaders to the United States Congress and President George W. Bush to pass a legislation that would provide funding for the nation's water systems. Water infrastructure needs in the country; Details of the legislation promoted by the Water Infrastructure...