Pilots With Angels' Wings
- Whither Free Flight? Tripp, Edward G. // Business & Commercial Aviation;Oct2001, Vol. 89 Issue 4, p62
Outlines the regulatory and equipment milestones leading to the establishment of free flight in the United States. Equipment installations included; Compliance with reduced vertical separation minimums; Requirement for communications channel spacing; Development of wide area and local area...
- Free Flight Tool Goes Live. Goyer, Robert // Flying;Feb2002, Vol. 129 Issue 2, p30
Reports the use of a free flight tool by the United States Federal Aviation Administration's Kansas City En Route Traffic Control Center, called User Request Evaluation Tool.
- Free Flight concept to require host of new technologies. Wilson, J.R. // Military & Aerospace Electronics;July99, Vol. 10 Issue 7, p1
Introduces a technology-driven approach for air traffic management in the United States. Concept of the Free Flight; Advantage of the approach; Test conducted on several elements of the Free Flight concept.
- Free Flight. Barlow, Richard Lyle // Model Aviation Canada;Jul2012, Vol. 43 Issue 4, p45
The author discusses issues relating to free flight in Canadian model aviation including Tony Mathews' likely appointment as the Free Flight chairman for the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC), and the performance of Canadian participants at the 2011 World Championships of...
- How Safe Is Your Second IFR Leg? King, John // Flying;Oct2012, Vol. 139 Issue 10, p30
The article presents the author's insights and strategies for how to avoid risk factors of instrument flight rules (IFR) trips.
- Scan Pattern. // Naval Aviation News;Fall2011, Vol. 93 Issue 4, p48
The article offers information related to the U.S. Navy such as the completion of the free-flight testing of the Joint Standoff Weapon C-1 in July 2011, the report on the unmanned aircraft which was possibly shot by army devoted to the former Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi, and the deck-handling...
- Visual Search in Complex Displays: Factors Affecting Conflict Detection by Air Traffic Controllers. Remington, Roger W.; Johnston, James C. // Human Factors;Fall2000, Vol. 42 Issue 3, p349
Examines the effects of relaxing airspace constraints on the detection of traffic conflicts by experienced air traffic controllers. Need for convergent methods in validating free flight; Role of routes in conflict detection; Impact of free flight proposals on controller performance; Factors...
- Mediterranean Tests Target Transition to 'Free Flight.'. Nordwall, Bruce D. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;6/25/2001, Vol. 154 Issue 26, p78
Reports on upcoming flight tests over the Mediterranean which will seek answers to a key 'free flight' issue, that is, how to transition aircraft between areas of low-density traffic and highly concentrated airspace of Europe. Testing of the concepts for communication, navigation and...
- Pilot Maneuver Choice and Workload in Free Flight. Wickens, Christopher D.; Helleberg, John; Xidong Xu // Human Factors;Summer2002, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p171
Two experiments examined pilots' maneuver choice and visual workload in a free-flight simulation. In Experiment 1, 12 pilots flew in a high-fidelity flight simulator with a cockpit display of traffic information and maneuvered to avoid traffic in a simulated free-flight environment. Pilots'...