IN THIS WEEK
- BHOPAL'S IN YOUR COURT. Steiner, Kenneth // New Republic;1/7/85 - 1/14/85, Vol. 192 Issue 1/2, p4
Focuses on the legal argument over where the trials for the Union Carbide plant disaster in Bhopal, India, will be held. Social problem underlying the case; Serious problem with the justice system in the U.S.; Advice for Union Carbide to hire specialists in Indian law, insurance law and mass...
- PROBABLY THE BIGGEST TRAGEDY IN THE INDUSTRIAL HISTORY OF ASIA: A STORY OF UNION CARBIDE, BHOPAL, INDIA. Ali, Ahsan; Nawaz Khan, Ali; Farrukh Moin, Muhammad // Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business;Jun2012, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p763
This paper focuses on the biggest tragedy in the industrial history of asia: a story of union carbide, Bhopal, India. It also discuss reasons and affects of tragedy. At the end conclusion is also drawn on the basis of literature
- Bhopal tragedy continues to haunt Union Carbide. Khasru, B. Z. // Fairfield County Business Journal;04/10/2000, Vol. 39 Issue 15, p3
Reports on the status of the legal battle between Union Carbide Corp. and India over the deadly Bhopal chemical plant accident. Out-of-court settlement signed by the two sides in 1989; Opposition to the clause granting immunity to former chairman Warren Anderson; H. Rajen Sharma's filing of a...
- CHRONICLE OF A DISASTER FORETOLD. // FinanceAsia;Jul2010, p30
The article discusses the disastrous event wherein the poisonous chemical methyl isocyanate was released from the plant of Union Carbide Corp. (UCC) in Bhopal, central India. It notes that the disastrous incident killed tens of thousands and exposed over half a million people. It details the gas...
- ASIA. // Earth Island Journal;Spring2003, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p6
Presents news briefs about Asia in 2003. Details on the 1984 disaster at Union Carbide's Bhopal, India chemical plant; Information on the first International Peasant-Scientist Conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Carbide's Toxic Evasion. Cray, Charlie // Multinational Monitor;Dec99, Vol. 20 Issue 12, p4
Reports that the survivors and relatives of victims of the poison gas which leaked out of the Bhopal, India pesticide plant of Union Carbide Corp. in 1984 filed suit in New York City, New York. Claims in the suit filed in November 1999 against Union Carbide; Defendant in the suit; 1989...
- 26 Years On, India Seeks More Compensation for Victims. // India -- West;12/10/2010, Vol. 36 Issue 3, pA42
The article reports on the compensations asked by India for the Bhopal gas victims. It mentions that the government has charged an alterative petition in the Supreme Court for the victims' compensation and the clean-up operations. It notes that the petition seeks an additional 150 million...
- THE YEAR OF BHOPAL? Buckley Jr., Wm. F. // National Review;2/8/1985, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p63
Comments on the accidental poisoning involving a factory of U.S.-based pesticide firm Union Carbide Corp. in Bhopal, India. Background on the incident which killed thousands of residents; Anger of the people of India over the incident; Moral aspects of the incident; Impact of the incident on...
- Bhopal polluters accused of hypocrisy. Bergman, David // New Scientist;11/24/90, Vol. 128 Issue 1744, p18
Reports that Union Carbide withdrew from a conference on environmental excellence in London after it was accused of hypocrisy by British MPs and pressure groups. Release of a highly critical report regarding Union Carbide's activities in the US; Bhopal disaster settlement.