Folate: a magic bullet or a double edged sword for colorectal cancer prevention?
- Effect of folate supplementation on mucosal cell proliferation in high risk patients for colon cancer. Khosraviani, K.; Weir, H.P.; Hamilton, P.; Moorehead, J.; Williamson, K. // Gut;Aug2002, Vol. 51 Issue 2, p195
Aims: Intracellular folate deficiency has been implicated in colonic carcinogenesis in epidemiological studies and animal and human cancer models. Our aim was to determine the effect of folate supplementation on patients with recurrent adenomatous polyps using rectal mucosal cell proliferation...
- Folic acid deficiency during intensive therapy. Ibbotson, R.M.; Colvin, B.T.; Colvin, M.P. // British Medical Journal;10/18/1975, Vol. 4 Issue 5989, p145
Presents cases of folic acid deficiency during intensive therapy. Medical history of the patients; Mechanism involved in folic acid deficiency during intensive therapy; Question on the rapidity of onset of the megaloblastic change.
- Correlation of Folate Deficiency with Alcoholism and Associated Macrocytosis, Anemia, and Liver Disease. Herbert, Victor; Zalusky, Ralph; Davidson, Charles S. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Jun63, Vol. 58 Issue 6, p977
Examines the incidence of folate deficiency in patients with chronic alcoholism. Equations of regression; Mean corpuscular volume; Quality of diet.
- Do patients receiving haemodialysis need folic acid supplements? // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);5/16/1981, Vol. 282 Issue 6276, p1582
Reports the risk of developing folic acid deficiency for patients receiving regular hemodialysis. Restriction of foods rich in folic acid; Occurrence of the loss of the vitamin across the dialysis membrane; Relationship between folic acid state and anemia.
- Neurological image of the child with neural tube defect (meningomyelocele) with Arnold-Chiari malformation type 1 with syringomyelia with obstructive hydrocephalus: Observation of folic acid supplementation failure in eliminating the risk of NTD in... Parakh, Hemanth; Kapoor, Monica Sachdeva; Sharma, Deepak; Deshpande, Aniruddha // Medical Journal of Dr. D.Y. Patil University;Sep/Oct2015, Vol. 9 Issue 5, p688
A letter to the editor on folic acid deficiency during pregnancy associated with various Neural Tube Defects (NTDs) like spina bifida, meningocele or meningomyelocele in neonates is presented.
- Examining the folate status of Canadians: An analysis of the Canadian Health Measures Survey to assess and guide folate policies. Colapinto, Cynthia K. // Applied Physiology, Nutrition & Metabolism;Mar2014, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p401
Canada fortifies certain products with folic acid and has periconceptional supplementation guidelines policies designed to improve folate status and reduce the incidence of poor birth outcomes. Though optimal folate concentrations have been linked to health benefits, concerns have been raised...
- NUTRIENTS AND COLORECTAL CANCER RISK. Saleh, Khalil // Middle East Journal of Nursing;Jul2011, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p7
Various nutrients are thought to have varyingt impact on colorectal cancer. The aim of this review was to clarify the effect of a variety of types of nutrients on colorectal cancer. Pubmed and Ovid databases were searched for articles that investigate the association between nutrients and...
- Folic Acid Prevents Cancer. // Australasian Science;Jan/Feb2013, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p12
The article offers information on a study that associates folic acid deficiency during pregnancy with an increased risk of childhood brain tumours.
- Anemia and Iron Deficiency in Pregnancy. Krafft, Alexander; Murray-Kolb, Laura; Milman, Nils // Journal of Pregnancy;2012, p1
An introduction is presented in which the editors discuss various topics within the issue of the periodical on topics including postpartum anemia, periconceptional folate deficiency and perioperative blood losses.