Big Boiler, Bigger Problem
- Prison design locks up reliable steam supply with watertube boilers. // Engineered Systems;Sep2003, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p22
Reports on the contract of Fayette Thermal with the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections to supply steam to the State Correctional Institution in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Implementation of a waste coal fuel system in the facility by Power Consultants Inc.; Proposal of Power Consultants for...
- Certification standard builds on old lessons. Swanekamp, Robert // Power;Nov/Dec97, Vol. 141 Issue 6, p15
Focuses on efforts to decrease incidents with boiler explosions in plants. Regulation of the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990; Information on a program conducted by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and excepts from a paper written by Rita M DeHart, Committee Vice Chair of the...
- Proper piping and control for multiple steam boilers. Roche, Jim // PM Engineer;Jul96, Vol. 2 Issue 6, p30
Focuses on multiple steam boiler piping. Proper steam supply piping; Proper condensate return piping; Boiler water level control; Combustion efficiency; System efficiency.
- Inconel 690 is alloy of choice for steam-generator tubing. Strauss, Sheldon D. // Power;Feb96, Vol. 140 Issue 2, p29
Relates the emergence of Inconel 690 alloy for steam-generator tubing. Claimed advantages over other similar products; Options to maintaining nuclear pressurized-water-reactor plant tubes; Problems of initially preferred materials for tubing needs; Optimization implemented on Alloy 690.
- With modular steam boilers, success lies in the piping. Holohan, Dan // PM Engineer;Nov96, Vol. 2 Issue 9, p12
States that how modular steam boilers are piped, whether individually or together, will determine the outcome of the job. Points to keep in mind about these boilers; Dynamics of the steam; How the boilers operate; Installation of the boilers; How to achieve the best results.
- Boiler basics. Roche, Jim // Refrigeration Service & Contracting;Aug97, Vol. 65 Issue 8, p20
Discusses basic principles in replacing steam-boilers. Use of air cushion in installing closed hot water systems; Amount of energy needed to phase-change water into steam; Pressure needed to raise water; handling of pressure problems; Near boiler piping; Short-cycling. INSET: Lighting a bolier...
- Boiler Accident Reports: To Err Is Human. // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;11/11/2002, Vol. 217 Issue 11, p15
Discusses the U.S.-based National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel's evaluation of data on boiler accidents. Deaths and injuries caused by boiler and pressure vessel accidents; Human error as the foremost cause of boiler accidents; Injury-per-accident ratio.
- Monitoring steam system critical for even board. Schmitt, Robert L. // Paperboard Packaging;Aug94, Vol. 79 Issue 8, p44
Discusses the importance of an efficient steam system in heating a corrugator. Steam consumption at paper plants; Monitoring of steam system as critical in the production process.
- Steam generator replacement overview. Chernoff, Harry; Wade, Kenneth Chuck // Power Engineering;Jan96, Vol. 100 Issue 1, p25
Part IV. Examines problems encountered at steam generators and identifies some of the remedies that utility operators and the nuclear community have employed. Tube denting and stress corrosion cracking problems; Common failure modes; Maintenance and repair of steam generators; Improvement of...