Puerto Rico's Gov. Acevedo Vila in Showdown with House Over Sales Tax
- Is a comprehensive tax reform advisable now? Romero-Barceló, Carlos // Caribbean Business;3/16/2006, Vol. 34 Issue 10, p23
The article argues against Puerto Rico Governor AnÃbal Acevedo Vila's comprehensive tax reform. Vila's plan to increase the sales tax to be able to reduce the income tax is just an election tactic. He also reneged on his campaign promise of not raising taxes. The author recommends the...
- Treasury Dept. concedes to sales tax exemption for tourism industry. Blessing, Gabriel Parra // Caribbean Business;2/1/2007, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p28
The article reports on the grant of the Treasury Department to sales tax exemption for tourism industry in Puerto Rico. The grant follows when Governor AnÃbal Acevedo VilÃ¡ vetoed House Bill 3195 that excise tax exemptions should also apply to the sales tax exemption. After the veto, the...
- Looking for infrastructure financing. Rodriguez, Meriemil // Caribbean Business;4/13/1995, Vol. 23 Issue 15, p12
Reports on Puerto Rico House Finance Committee Congressman Anibal Acevedo Vila's probe on the majority's proposals. Minority report on the budget; Government downsizing; Funding of infrastructure projects; Proposals for the tourism and service industries.
- Correction. // Bond Buyer;8/22/2007, Vol. 361 Issue 32697, p2
A correction to the front-page photograph of Puerto Rico Governor Anibal Acevedo-Vila that was published in the August 21, 2007 issue is presented.
- Acevedo Vila: will he plead the Fifth Amendment? Barcelo, Carlos Romero // Caribbean Business;10/7/2004, Vol. 32 Issue 42, p24
The article reports that in the recent gubernatorial debate, Democratic gubernatorial candidate Anibal Acevedo Vila, repeatedly accused politician Pedro Rossello of misdeeds and of violating the law, and he further kept insisting that Pedro Rossello either knew about all the illegal financial...
- ACEVEDO VILA REPORTS ISLAND'S ALLOCATIONS IN FEDERAL BUDGET. // Caribbean Business;2/27/2003, Vol. 31 Issue 8, p51
Reports on U.S. federal budget allocations to Puerto Rico in the field of education assessed by Resident Commissioner Anibal Acevedo Vila. Increase in the allocation; Impact on education.
- An outrageous, dangerous and inhuman decision. Barceló, Carlos Romero // Caribbean Business;12/27/2007, Vol. 35 Issue 51, p23
The author reflects on Governor Anibal Acevedo VilÃ¡'s decision to suspend all construction related to permits in the Paseo Caribe project in Puerto Rico. He considers such decision of the governor as an outrageous, dangerous and inhuman decision. He thinks that VilÃ¡'s decision is the type...
- Top stories of Puerto Rico. // Caribbean Business;7/2/1998, Vol. 26 Issue 26, p53
Provides brief reports on a number of issues in Puerto Rico. Information on the construction of Route 66 express toll highway; Details on the Equal Education Opportunity law introduced by Governor Pedro Rossello; Criticism of the Democratic Party's president Anibal Acevedo Vila; In-depth look at...
- ACEVEDO VILA PRESENTS BILL TO BOOST SBDC PROMOTIONAL BUDGET. // Caribbean Business;7/11/2002, Vol. 30 Issue 28, p1
Reports on U.S. House Small Business Committee Member Anibal Acevedo Vila's presentation of legislation that would boost the promotion of Small Business Development Center (SBDC) programs in Puerto Rican areas with unemployment rates that exceed the U.S. national average. Creation of a grant...