- Gastrojejunostomy tubes improve nutrition. Kovak, Janet R. // DVM: The Newsmagazine of Veterinary Medicine;Jan2008, Vol. 39 Issue 1, p24
The article focuses on the use of gastrojejunostomy tubes to provide adequate nutrition to dogs and cats in the postoperative patient in the U.S. Gastrojejunostomy tubes provide dual access to the stomach as well as the jejunum. Risks of tube placement include stoma complications where the tube...
- Preparation of the Gastric Bypass Surgery Patient for Post-operative Dietary Changes. Thomason, Phyllis // Nutrition in Clinical Care;Jan-Mar2004, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p37
Bariatric surgery may be on effective tool for extremely obese people. Surgical weight loss may be an appropriate option after comprehensive assessments and treatment.
- Early postoperative oral feeding impacts positively in patients undergoing colonic resection: results of a pilot study. Consoli, M. Lobato Dias; Fonseca, L. Maciel; da Silva, R. Gomes; Correia, M. I. Toulson Davisson // Nutricion Hospitalaria;sep/oct2010, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p806
Background and aims: Early oral feeding after colorectal resections is one of the many factors that contributes to enhance recovery after surgery, mainly impacting on postoperative ileus. The aim of this study was to evaluate the impact of early postoperative oral feeding in patients undergoing...
- Potential Nutritional Conflicts in Bariatric and Renal Transplant Patients. Lightner, Amy; Lau, James; Obayashi, Patricia; Birge, Kristine; Melcher, Marc // Obesity Surgery;Dec2011, Vol. 21 Issue 12, p1965
An increasing number of morbidly obese patients with end stage renal disease (ESRD) are sequentially undergoing bariatric surgery followed by renal transplantation. Discrepancies between the nutritional recommendations for obesity and chronic kidney disease (CKD) are often confusing for the...
- Weight Loss Surgery: Common Questions. Macias, Kathryn E.; Benson, Gretchen A.; Humble, Angie M.; Beaudette, Jennifer L.; Schmidt, Heidi M. // Diabetes Spectrum;Spring2009, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p110
The article presents questions and answers related to weight loss, or bariatric, surgery including the benefits of exercise and weight loss before surgery, the elimination of soda and coffee in the diet, and changes in diabetes treatment.
- Multi-Centre European Experience with Intragastric Balloon in Overweight Populations: 13 Years of Experience. Genco, Alfredo; López-Nava, Gontrand; Wahlen, Christian; Maselli, Roberta; Cipriano, Massimiliano; Sanchez, Maria; Jacobs, Chantal; Lorenzo, Michele // Obesity Surgery;Apr2013, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p515
Background: The request to lose weight is expanding not only in obese and morbidly obese patients but also in overweight patients affected by co-morbidities as diabetes and hypertension and who do not tolerate diet regimen or lifestyle changes. The aim of this study is a multicenter evaluation...
- A Pill for Nearly Everything, Except REAL Wellness. // Electronic Ardell Wellness Report (E-AWR);4/5/2013, Issue 643, p2
The article informs about pills that cures obesity. It discusses gastric bypass surgery that helps in weight loss by lowering the appetite and restricting the amount of food ingested by the patient. According to the researchers, exercising, healthy eating and sensible lifestyle habits are far...
- CAPITAL & CANDOR. Larkin, Howard // H&HN: Hospitals & Health Networks;Feb2004, Vol. 78 Issue 2, p58
Discusses several factors involved in treating obese patients. Costs of obesity treatment; Risks of bariatric surgery; Approaches taken by several hospitals in the U.S. to treat obese patients.
- Apoyo nutricional perioperatorio en pacientes con neoplasia colorrectal. Sánchez, M. B. Gómez; García-Talavera Espín, N. V.; Álvarez, C. Sánchez; Ros, A. I. Zomeño; Hernández, M. Nicolás; Ramos, M. J. Gómez; Baños, P. Parra; Valverde, F. M. González // Nutricion Hospitalaria;sep/oct2010, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p797
Objectives: Malnutrition is clearly associated with increased morbidity and mortality after elective abdominal surgery. The purpose of this study was to compare perioperative nutritional support with traditional postoperative dietary management, evaluating its efficacy to reduce surgical...