Investor Chat: David Merkel, Hovde Capital
- Sides dig in for battle over Franklin Bank. Roush, Matt // Crain's Detroit Business;05/29/2000, Vol. 16 Issue 22, p1
Reports on Hovde Capital LL and other institutional shareholders' opposition against the Franklin Bank's proposed merger with Bingham Financial Services Corp. Overview on Hovde executive vice president Steven Hovde's letter to Franklin Chairman David Simons outlining the former's points of...
- Insurers stay on the prowl. Cardona, Mercedes M. // Pensions & Investments;11/13/1995, Vol. 23 Issue 23, p51
Focuses on money management as an importance piece of insurance companies' business. Comparison with banks and brokerages; Diversification of management behind insurers' assets; High-profile acquisitions; Management firms as favorite acquisition targets.
- Capital Management Practices Shifting. // Insurance Networking News;Jun2010, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p20
The article reports on findings of the study conducted by Towers Watson which indicate that life insurers are adjusting the way they manage capital requirements.
- Pickup Trucks and Captives. Anderson, Mark E. // Best's Review;Mar2001, Vol. 101 Issue 11, p35
Investigates ways on the use of captive insurance companies as a financial management vehicle. Using a captive to improve a corporation's balance sheet; Accessing the reinsurance market for liability coverage or as a vehicle to unite a contractual-liability policy or a deductible-reimbursement...
- EFFECTIVE STRATEGIES OF THE FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT OF INSURANCE COMPANY. Dzyuban, I. Ye.; Kapustyan, V. O. // Naukovi visti NTUU - KPI;2007, Vol. 2007 Issue 1, p12
The activity of the insurance company is considered from the viewpoint of financial management. The proposed model is based on the macroeconomic Ramsey's model and it supposes to use the Pontryagin's principle of maximum for studying the company activity. The final solutions for the task of the...
- Safe haven for brokers. // Finance Week;10/27/2003, p51
Focuses on the use of professional expertise by consumers to guide them on complex financial matters. Claims on lower cost of insurers; Management cost of traditional insurer; Need for traditional insurers to limit advertising costs.
- Insurers are ill prepared for Solvency II. Blackmore, Nicole // Money Marketing;5/13/2010, p7
The article reports that 36% of the insurers are not confident that the industry will be ready for Solvency II by 2013 as indicated in the survey conducted by The Economist Intelligence Unit in Great Britain.
- Missing the Forest for the Trees. Stein, Robert W. // Best's Review;Oct2003, Vol. 104 Issue 6, p102
Discusses the implications of the financial reporting and accounting requirement under the Sabarnes-Oxley Act of 2002 on insurance company financial management and audit committees in the U.S. Role in improving the companies' chances for survival and enhancing their performance; Need for boards...
- How To Cut Costs Without Cutting Your Own Throat. Borgen, Larry // National Underwriter / P&C;5/15/2006, Vol. 110 Issue 19, p20
The article discusses the need for insurance companies to manage expenses effectively in order to thrive in the increasingly competitive marketplace for insurance in the U.S. in 2006. Key issues examined include sample cases on the issue, as well as recommendations on effective cost control for...