Canada falters on promise of AIDS drugs for Africa
- Counterpoint: Large Pharmaceutical Companies Have Too Much Power Over the Distribution of AIDS Treatments. Pawlick, Peter; Carson-Dewitt, Rosalyn // Points of View: AIDS Drugs in Africa;3/1/2016, p3
The article argues that pharmaceutical companies are taking too much control over the production and distribution of drugs developed for human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immune deficiency syndrome (HIV/AIDS) in developing countries. It claims that despite the capacity of governments to...
- Epidemics and the Generic Medicines Industry. Haddad, William F. // Brown Journal of World Affairs;Winter/Spring2004, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p213
Focuses on the tactics and techniques which pharmaceutical companies use to preserve exclusive markets for patented products in both developed and developing worlds. Overview of generic drugs; Passage of the Hatch-Waxman Act and its implications; Financial relief for AIDS victims.
- Bureaucratic regulations delay generic competition. Rankin, Ken // Drug Store News;5/19/97, Vol. 19 Issue 9, p17
Examines the impact of regulations on the generic drug industry in the United States. Agency's averaging of 23 months to process Abbreviated New Drug Applications (ANDAs) in 1996; Delay of generic competition due to the filing of citizen's petitions raising scientific or public health concerns...
- Generics Growth Is Driven By National Efforts to Control Health Care Costs in Europe. Milmo, Sean // Chemical Market Reporter;11/11/2002, Vol. 262 Issue 17, p6
Reports the increase in the sales of generic drugs in Western European countries. Impetus to the expansion in generics; Viability of generics in cutting health cost; Response of the pharmaceutical industry to the proposed European Union legislation concerning.
- Passage Of Generic Prescription Drug Bill Is Lauded. // Insurance Advocate;8/12/2002, Vol. 113 Issue 30, p7
Reports on the U.S. Senate's passage of a generic prescription drug bill. Key provisions of the bill; Impact of the legislation on the cost of prescription drugs; Regency BlueShield's reaction to the bill's passage.
- Generic Drug Bill Hits Senate. // Chemical Market Reporter;6/16/2003, Vol. 263 Issue 24, p3
Reports on the United States Senate's approval of the bipartisan legislation designed to bring generic copies of brand name pharmaceuticals to the marketplace more quickly. Provisions of the legislation; Senators who supported the bill.
- PAUL VARNELL. Varnell, Paul // Bay Windows;5/10/2001, pN.PAG
Provides information on how much it costs to manufacture generic or knock-off versions of AIDS antivirals that are for sale in underdeveloped countries. Cost of a year supply of GlaxoSmithKline's Combivir, a combination of AZT and 3TC; Price of the generic version of Combivir offered by Cipla...
- CAPITAL CAPSULES. Conlan, Michael F. // Drug Topics;10/2/2000, Vol. 144 Issue 19, p25
Presents information on drug regulations in the United States as of October 2, 2000. Information on a legislation on Medicare drug benefit plan for low-income seniors; Legislation that would remove some of the legal and administrative barriers that delay the entry of generic drugs; Rejection of...
- Loophole closure outrages generic drug companies. Helwig, David // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;2/08/2000, Vol. 162 Issue 3, p396
Reports on the closure of a legal loophole that allowed companies that make generic drugs to bypass Canada's drug-patent policy. Representative of the generic drug manufacturers, the Canadian Drug Manufacturers Association; Changes to the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations...