News Briefs ï¿½
- Blackboard patent may be in jeopardy after review. Hammer, Ben // Buffalo Law Journal;2/8/2007, Vol. 79 Issue 12, p15
The article reports on the review of the patent application of Blackboard Inc. for its online educational technology by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (PTO). PTO has launched a re-examination of the company's patent for its Internet-based education system and methods. The request for...
- E-Learning: A Patent 6,988,138. A. P. // Technology & Learning;Sep2006, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p4
The article provides information on U.S. patent 6,988,138, which was issued for Blackboard Inc.'s online learning technology. The course management system provider says that the patent encompasses core technology relating to certain systems and methods involved in offering online education. Such...
- Online Learning Communities/Learning Management Systems. Doe, Charles // MultiMedia & Internet@Schools;Mar/Apr2010, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p32
The article examines several online learning communities, often called learning management systems (LMS). Such a community is said to pertain to a place designed to assist users in reaching learning goals through collaborative partnerships, including varying degrees of social networking and...
- Patent problems pending. Little, Bob // e.learning age;Oct2006, p38
The article discusses the international implications of a patent infringement suit filed by Blackboard, a U.S.-based learning management system (LMS) company, against Desire2Learn, a company that produces an LMS. It is claimed by the British Educational Communications and Technology Agency that...
- Blackboard Settles with Desire2Learn. // Educational Marketer;1/ 4/2010, Vol. 41 Issue 1, p3
The article reports on the decision of Blackboard Inc. to back off from the fight in a patent dispute with Desire2Learn Inc. in Washington, D.C.
- Making Globalization Ordinary: Teaching Globalization in the American Studies Classroom. Takacs, Stacy // American Studies (00263079);Winter2008, Vol. 49 Issue 3/4, p221
The article offers a possible method for teaching students of American studies about globalization. The author suggests using the Internet in university and college classrooms to emphasize the interconnected and globalized nature of society in the contemporary era. She outlines an American...
- Partnerships & Acquisitions ï¿½. // Educational Marketer;5/9/2011, Vol. 42 Issue 10, p8
The article reports on the acquisition of Captual Technologies, developer and marketer of webcasting platform ePresence, by enterprise teaching and learning platform provider Desire2Learn.
- Desire2Learn Partners With IBM on Online Learning Platform. Mercury, Guelph // Distance Education Report;5/15/2012, p6
The article reports on the partnership of Desire2learn Inc. with International Business Machines Corp. (IBM) to offer a new combined online educational program for schools, universities and colleges called Smarter Education Solution.
- United States : DESIRE2LEARN raises $85M to expand globally. // TendersInfo News;8/16/2014, p1
The article reports on the 85 million dollars worth of funding secured by Desire2Learn from a group of venture capital companies.