Living in a Small Town
- Active Air Force, reserve & guard facilities. // Airman;Jan1999, Vol. 43 Issue 1, p28
Lists all major and minor active United States Air Force facilities, Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve bases in and out of the country. Base name; Location; Zip codes; Major commands; Telephone numbers; Size.
- USAF Announces Candidate Locations For Two New Organizations. // Defense Daily;1/22/2009, Vol. 241 Issue 11, p9
The article reports on the possible locations for two new U.S. Air Force organizations, the Air Force Global Strike Command and the 24th Air Force, as announced by Air Force officials. It mentions that the optional bases for Global Strike Command include Barksdale AFB, Louisiana and F.E. Warren...
- Empire Bloat. Weigel, David // Reason;Dec2008, Vol. 40 Issue 7, p13
The article presents information on the reduction in the number of military bases of the U.S. in foreign countries from 1,014 in 1967 to 823 in 2007. Kyrgyzstani President Kurmanbek Bakiyev has threatened to close down the Manas air base in his country, demanding more payment for rent. While in...
- Obama leaves Abe hanging in messy relocation deal for Okinawa base. // Geo-Strategy Direct;4/ 3/2013, p1
The article reports on the failure of U.S. President Barack Obama to provide a timeline to Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on the relocation of the Marine Corps Air Station Futenma in Ginowan, Okinawa Island, Japan. It states that the issue remains a major threat on the relationship of both...
- War stories about base closings. Dezube, Dona // Mortgage Banking;Sep93, Vol. 53 Issue 12, p56
Discusses the possible choices of different communities in their redevelopment of closed military bases for their economic advantage. Economic fallout from an exodus of military personnel; Prisons; Colleges; Airfields; Retirement communities; Prototype family training center; Government...
- What's happening at your local military base? Connell, James; Hall, Rebecca // Public Management (00333611);Oct97, Vol. 79 Issue 10, p41
Presents updates related to military bases in the United States as of October 1997. Includes implications on local government managers; Adoption of the Defense Environmental Restoration Program for the military bases by the Department of Defense; Legislation concerning the use of inactive bases...
- More bases face chopping block. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;3/13/1995, Vol. 142 Issue 11, p28
Focuses on military base closures in the United States. Considerations of the US Dept. of Defense whether to ask the US Congress about a fifth round of closures; Inevitability of further closures according to Joint Chief of Staffs chairman John Shalikashvili; Need for the demonstration of the...
- Beyond the peace dividend. McGowan, Kathleen // Audubon;Jul/Aug97, Vol. 99 Issue 4, p104
Examines military bases in the United States which are inactive. Identification of one such base with live ammunition not being supervised; Information on the conversion of these bases into wildlife refuges; Anticipation of environmental activist.
- Politics? Miller, William H. // Industry Week/IW;3/20/95, Vol. 244 Issue 6, p64
Reports on the fourth and final round of military-base closings recommended by the Department of Defense.