Distant Signal Dust-Up Back to Court
- An opening for Murdoch. Victor, Kirk // National Journal;4/05/97, Vol. 29 Issue 14, p678
Reports on the obstacles faced by media magnate Rupert Murdoch's plan to combine the American Sky Broadcasting and Echostar Communications Corp. Arguments put forward by Murdoch that the merger will raise competition in the media; Disappointment over the 1996 Telecommunications Act; Implications...
- Murdoch, Ergen take to Sky. Littleton, Cynthia // Broadcasting & Cable;03/03/97, Vol. 127 Issue 9, p41
Reports on the merger of Rupert Murdoch's ASkyB with Denver, Colorado-based EchoStar Communications Corp. Effect on the companies' satellite television subscribership; EchoStar's conversion of its DISH direct broadcast service into Sky in 1998; Combined channel capacity. INSETS: Murdoch's...
- Holiday dish TV ad sneaks Murdoch knock. Katz, Richard // MediaWeek;01/05/98, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p46
Reports on the launch of a television commercial that takes a dig at broadcasting mogul Rupert Murdoch for reneging on a promise to invest in satellite television provider EchoStar Communications. Description of the advertisement; EchoStar lawsuit against Murdoch.
- Murdoch fiddles while street burns. Peers, Martin; Levin, Gary // Variety;03/31/97, Vol. 366 Issue 9, p35
Reports on News Corp. chairman Rupert Murdoch's acquisitions and deals despite promises to investors to halt acquisitions. Wall Street's reactions to Murdoch's financial deals; Murdoch's investment in Echostar Communications Corp.
- Rupert's death star. Roberts, Johnnie L. // Bulletin with Newsweek;3/11/97, Vol. 116 Issue 6062, p71
Reports on Rupert Murdoch's acquisition of control over the EchoStar satellite television company, which sets Murdoch up as the leader in direct-broadcast satellite (DBS) television and a possible competitor against cable television. The newly developed capabilities for local programming from...
- Murdoch and Euro Media: The Deals Not Yet Firmed. Williams, Michael // Variety;02/15/99, Vol. 373 Issue 13, p78
Outlines businessman Rupert Murdoch's several deals with European media from 1985 to 1998. Agreement with Belgian Albert Frere to develop pay-per-view services in Europe; Percentage of stake acquired from Bertelsmann's Vox network in Germany; Amount offered for Fininvest's television holdings.
- TIVO UPBEAT ON PENDING APPEALS ARGUMENT. Gruenwedel, Erik // Home Media Magazine;8/26/2007, Vol. 29 Issue 34, p8
The article reveals that DVR pioneer TiVo Inc. hailed impending oral arguments on October 4, 2007 in federal court. The arguments would address a patent infringement lawsuit brought against satellite-TV provider EchoStar Communications Corp. It is stated that a U.S. Court of Appeals denied a...
- Tivo Wins DVR Patent Lawsuit Against Echostar, Extends Deal With DirecTV. // Satellite Today;4/18/2006, Vol. 5 Issue 72, p1
This article reports on the plan of Tivo Inc. to seek a permanent injunction against Echostar Communications Corp. over the use of digital video recorder technology. Tivo filed the case in U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas, and a jury awarded Tivo more than 73 million U.S. dollars...
- TIVO DOWNPLAYS APPEALS COURT DECISION. Gruenwedel, Erik // Home Media Retailing;10/8/2006, Vol. 28 Issue 42, p10
The article reports that Tivo Inc. did not give much importance to the decision of the U.S. Court of Appeals regarding the permanent injunction against EchoStar Communications. The court denied the permanent injunction of Tivo against Echostar. Both companies are rival in the digital video...