New Compounds, Flavenoids in the Mix: Defining Nutrients
- Garlic's Fat-Burning Effects. Antonio, Jose // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness;Feb99, Vol. 60 Issue 2, p169
Focuses on the health benefits of garlic. Details on three experiments on garlic consumption; Information about alliin, a useful compound that can be isolated from garlic.
- Garlic and immunity. Gormley, James J. // Better Nutrition;Oct99, Vol. 61 Issue 10, p18
Focuses on the immune-boosting effects of garlic. Includes the stimulation of the release of immune factors and tumor-growth control by the use of garlic extract; Anti-cancer-spread action in breast cancer and prostate cancer; Protection of the immune system.
- The quiet power of garlic. Gormley, James J. // Better Nutrition;Jun2000, Vol. 62 Issue 6, p18
Discusses the health benefits of garlic. Details from the book `Garlic: Immunity Booster and Inflammation Reducer,' by Stephanie Pedersen; Garlic's ability to detoxify carcinogens and prevent cancer; How pre-treatment with garlic extract prevents hyperglycemia; Relation between age-related...
- Gung Ho for Garlic! Zanteson, Lori // Environmental Nutrition;Oct2015, Vol. 38 Issue 10, p8
The article provides information on the health and nutritional benefits of garlic. Information is provided on the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants found in garlic, the link between garlic powder consumption and reduced level of total cholesterol, fasting blood glucose and blood pressure, as...
- Garlic and cancer? Gormley, James J. // Better Nutrition;Jan2000, Vol. 62 Issue 1, p18
Presents research findings on the benefits offered by garlic against cancer. Demonstration of the ability of garlic extract to stimulate cell-mediated immunity to cancer; Protective effect of allium vegetables against stomach and esophageal cancer; Ability of a compound found in garlic extract...
- Protection of N-methyl-Nâ€²-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine-induced in vivo clastogenicity by aqueous garlic extract. Nagini, S; Arivazhagan, S; Santhiya, St; Ramesh, A // Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition;Sep2001, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p238
The modulatory effects of garlic extract on the in vivo clastogenicity of N-methyl-Nâ€²-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine (MNNG), a carcinogenic nitrosamine, were evaluated by quantification of micronuclei and chromosomal aberrations in metaphase cells from the bone marrow of male Wistar rats. A...
- The goodness of garlic. Eisman, Nancy // Prevention;Oct2002, Vol. 54 Issue 10, p153
Discusses the health benefits of garlic in the diet. Benefits, including lowering cholesterol, prevention of blood clots, reduction of blood pressure, and protection against infections; Possibility that garlic may fight cancer; Varieties of garlic; Recipe that uses garlic.
- CULINARY CORNER. GARLIC. Roof, Bryan // Today's Dietitian;Jan2013, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p66
The author offers information on the advantages of garlic such as it reduces cholesterol and blood pressure, improves circulation and immune function, and lowers cancer risk.
- Garlic helps heart patients. Mindell, Earl L. // Health News & Review;1994, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p6
Reports on a study conducted at the Tagore Medical College in India which shows the effectiveness of garlic in reducing the risk of succumbing to heart disease. Greater effect of garlic during the third than second year.