Viewpoint: Y2K Realities
- IQ News. Taylor, Catharine P. // MediaWeek;12/14/98, Vol. 8 Issue 47, p33
Reports that the power outage in San Francisco, California in December 1998 resulted in the loading failure of only the CNet's News.com Web site. Comparison between the power outage the Year 2000 computing crisis.
- I almost hopes the lights will go off on New Year's eve. Chavez // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;12/27/99, Vol. 29 Issue 27, p16
Comments on the potential impact of the Year 2000 computer problem on the United States public. Power outages; Experience with a bad storm in rural Virginia; What-if scenario on the detrimental effects of the Year 2000 computer problem.
- Year 2000 watch: Senate OKs Y2K bill. // Nation's Restaurant News;10/19/98, Vol. 32 Issue 42, p46
Reports on United States Senate's and House's approval of a legislative bill that would require foodservice operators to ready their products for the year 2000. Background on the bill.
- A f/s dilemma. // FoodService Director;01/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p30
Comments on the impact of the year 2000 computer date conversion problem on food service businesses in the United States. Cost of developing compliance solutions for the problem; Case example of the food service division at Morrison Health Care; Unit-specific strategies.
- Y2K in foodservice. Grossbauer, Sue // FoodService Director;01/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p137
Focuses on the importance for food service operations in the United States to consider the relevance of the year 2000 computer date conversion issue on their business. Types of machinery used by food service operators affected by the problem; Examples of solutions developed for the industry. ...
- A gaze into the final year of the second millennium. Grimes, Rob // Nation's Restaurant News;01/11/99, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p36
Discusses how the foodservice industry will be affected by the year 2000 date conversion. Hardware technologies that will be implemented in the industry; Increase in the Internet-based application software; Analysis on the effect of Year 2000 issue on the industry.
- FS/TEC experts warn: Think internally, externally, beyond `Y2K' bug. Rubinstein, Ed // Nation's Restaurant News;01/11/99, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p39
Discusses the importance for food service operators to develop companywide policies for ensuring that their systems are year 2000 (Y2K) compliant. Recommendations from Ed Brooks of AFC Enterprises Inc.; Comments from some industry observers; Significance of the process of tracking Y2K...
- On-site food firms `syne' on top cater to Y2K crews. King // Nation's Restaurant News;11/29/99, Vol. 33 Issue 48, p1
Reports on the food service businesses' preparation for the possible problems concerning computer system adjustments for the year 2000 in the United States. Preparations for catering services that will be provided to business employees who will be on duty during the eve of the year 2000;...
- Millennial musings should spark reviews of crucial challenges, present and future. Martin // Nation's Restaurant News;01/03/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p31
Editorial. Comments on the exaggerated hype about the millennium bug in the United States foodservice industry. Presence of more difficult challenges in the industry; Reason for the weakness of restaurant stocks; Concern on the food safety issues.