Food Capsule: BREAKFAST'S SHARE OF THE DIET
- USDA To Pilot Program Providing Free Breakfasts. Coles, Adrienne D. // Education Week;01/26/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 20, p20
Reveals the pilot project that will be launched by the United States (US) Department of Agriculture that aims to provide free breakfast to a limited number of elementary schools in the US. Reason behind the project; Number of schools that will be chosen; Budget authorized by the Congress for the...
- USDA Questions: The Importance of Breakfast. // FoodService Director;10/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 10, p22
Questions the impact of the School Breakfast Program (SBP) in a report by the United States Department of Agriculture. Purpose of the implementation of the SBP; Suggested definitions; Percentage of students who do not consume any food or beverage for breakfast.
- Breakfast rising; up 2.3% in schools. // FoodService Director;02/15/98, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p16
States that participation in the United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) School Breakfast Program (SBP)has increased by 2.3 percent, as stated in the seventh annual School Breakfast Scorecard release by the Food Research and Action Center (FRAC). Comments from Michele Tingling-Clemmons,...
- SCHOOL BREAKFAST PILOT PROJECT: Study questions value of universal-free breakfast. // FoodService Director;1/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p10
Analyzes the results of the U.S. Department of Agriculture School Breakfast Program Pilot Project in 2003. Purpose of the project; Effect on schools offering free breakfasts; Difference between the experimental and control groups.
- USDA Offers Temporary Adjustment For School Lunch Program Limits On Meat And Grain. // Beef Expert Blog;12/20/2012, p5
The article reports on the decision of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to offer additional flexibility to evaluate the compliance with the standards of the National School Lunch and School Breakfast programs, citing the operational challenges relating to the limits placed on grains,...
- School Foodservice Directors Sound Off. Brown, Karen; Swartz, Jeff; Goossens, Timothy; DuBois, Katie // Food Management;Jul2014, Vol. 49 Issue 7, p8
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to the article regarding the increasing public and political debate between the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and School Nutrition Association (SNA).
- USDA to Eye Breakfast/Academics Link. // FoodService Director;12/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 12, p17
Reports on the initiative taken by the United States Department of Agriculture to monitor the free-breakfast pilot of President Bill Clinton. Budget provided by the Congress towards the program; Significance of the initiative; Comments from President Clinton.
- Six school districts chosen to launch breakfast pilot. // Nation's Restaurant News;05/29/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 22, p19
Focuses on the United States Department of Agriculture's selection of six school districts to participate in an up-to-three-year study on the effects of eating breakfast on academic performance. Study called the School Breakfast Pilot Program; Chance for the schools to offer free breakfast to...
- AT USDA SYMPOSIUM: New research adds fuel to school breakfast push. // FoodService Director;06/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p26
Focuses on a research concerning the importance of a nutritious breakfast for school children, discussed during the symposium of the United States Department of Agriculture. Psychological behavior of children who eat breakfast; Relationship between hunger and obstacles to learning;...