- Bear scares. Cherry, B. // Outdoor Life;Feb91, Vol. 187 Issue 2, p64
Recalls several of the author's personal encounters with brown bears. Discusses a brown bear's visual acuity, habits, and ability to hide easily. Offers tips on how hunters should act if they encounter a bear.
- Bare facts about bear acts. Cheek, R. // Field & Stream;Feb1989, Vol. 93 Issue 2, p62
A first person account of encounters with bears in Montana's Rocky Mountains. Facts about bear behavior; Hunted bears versus National Park bears.
- Recycling helps hibernating bears. // Current Science;2/12/93, Vol. 78 Issue 12, p12
Discusses biological processes that help bears survive without eating, drinking, or disposing of body wastes while they are hibernating, sometimes for as long as five months. Bears use body fat built up during summer and fall; Bears recycle urea, a waste product that forms from the breakdown of...
- Den mothers and their cubs. Lynch, Wayne // International Wildlife;Nov/Dec94, Vol. 24 Issue 6, p12
Discusses polar bears' digging of dens in Canada's Hudson Bay for use as a breeding place. Female bears use of dens for the birth and nursing of cabs; Breeding process; Denning of female polar bears in concentrated groups.
- A HUNTING KILLER. // Scholastic Scope;9/3/2012, Vol. 61 Issue 1, p4
The article focuses on an investigation by beer biologist on grizzly bears attack on humans in the Yellowstone County, Montana.
- News Graph. // Scholastic News -- Edition 5/6;4/28/2014, Vol. 82 Issue 21, p8
A graph is presented which shows the number of bear incidents, including damaged property, food theft, and injuries, at the Yosemite National Park in California since 1997.
- News IQ: page 6. // Scholastic News -- Edition 5/6;4/28/2014, Vol. 82 Issue 21, p8
The article presents a quiz about black bears at the Yosemite National Park.
- Window Seat. // Travel Daily;8/21/2012, p3
The article offers information related to bear including the attack of four bears on a traveller's cabin in northern Europe and the surveillance footage showing the visit of a black bear in the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory in Colorado.
- Q & A. Lanken, Dane // Canadian Geographic;Jul/Aug97, Vol. 117 Issue 4, p80
Provides answers to readers' perplexing questions. Answer to the question on how many north poles there is; How bears pick and eat berries with such cumbersome paws.