Sibling incest within violent families: Children under 12 years seeking nurture
- University of Florida Study: Sibling Violence Leads to
Battering in College Dating. // Ascribe Newswire: Medicine;5/3/2004, p37
Brothers and sisters who fight while growing up lay the groundwork for battering their dates by the time they get to college, a new University of Florida (UF) study finds. In fact, the study found that sibling violence is a predictor of dating violence and is compounded by the experience of...
- The association between the quality of sibling relationships and developmental outcomes in... Smith, Maureen C. // Child Study Journal;1995, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p237
Examines the association between higher quality sibling relationships and developmental outcomes in preschool-aged foster children placed with older siblings. ANOVA analysis showing the association between the quality of the child's relationship and child behavior problems and child verbal...
- Soothing siblings. Conrad, Eva // Working Mother;Feb96, p58
Focuses on how parents can encourage their siblings to do comforting things for their younger brothers or sisters. Skills possessed by preschoolers who are most likely to offer comfort; How parents can teach their preschoolers to be comforting for their younger siblings.
- Little Things. Verghese, Namrata // Teen Ink;Dec2015, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p16
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience being threatened to lose the attention, love and care of family and relatives with the coming of a new baby in the family.
- TREATING SIBLING VIOLENCE. Reid, William J.; Donovan, Timothy // Family Therapy: The Journal of the California Graduate School of;1990, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p49
Sibling violence is a pervasive social problem that has been neglected in both the research and treatment literature. This paper presents a problem-solving, task-centered model for treating sibling violence when it is either the dominant or subordinate issue in a case. The model emphasizes...
- MIXED SIGNALS. Tutelian, Louise // Working Mother;May2003, p79
Provides advice in understanding children with imitating behavior towards opposite sex. Assessment of the normal behavior exhibited in all preschoolers; Need to understand the cycle of development in children; s old babies; Facts about the gender-atypical behavior in children.
- Reality Check. Thompson, Trisha // Parenting;Apr2002, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p153
Answers questions on parenting. Advice on how to introduce a family's pet dog to the newborn baby; Ways to inform children about the death of a family member; Suggestions to stop siblings from arguing with each other.
- Little Copycats. // Parenting School Years;Mar2011, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p36
The article focuses on the tendency of younger children to emulate older siblings which allegedly helps the younger ones to mature more quickly and will eventually stop if the parent takes the time to acknowledge the child's yearnings and find suitable solutions that are especially for the kid.
- BENIGN NEGLECT: REDUCING FIGHTS AMONG SIBLINGS. Buskila, M.; Gerzi, S. // Journal of Individual Psychology (00221805);Nov77, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p240
Studies the central causes of sibling fights. Desire for parent's attention; Essential part of equality among the children; Democratic process of resolving conflicts among children.