Searching for More Truth About Social Security
- HOW WOULD THE BUSH PLAN WORK? Thottam, Jyoti // Time;1/24/2005, Vol. 165 Issue 4, p26
Presents a list of pros and cons concerning the plan of U.S. President George W. Bush to reform the Social Security program. Expectation that Bush's plan to reform the system will include reduced guaranteed benefits and private investment accounts; View that the proposed system could provide...
- Timing your Social Security benefits. // Consumer Reports;Oct2011, Vol. 76 Issue 10, p13
The article discusses when couples should file for U.S. Social Security benefits to maximize the payouts they receive. To get more money long-term, the article recommends delaying signing up for benefits, signing up for spousal benefits while still working, and claiming then suspending benefits...
- PUTTING SOCIAL SECURITY TO WORK. Rattiner, Jeffrey H. // Journal of Financial Planning;Jan1993, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p28
Social Security benefits are an important component in retirement planning. This article provides an extensive review of Social Security issues financial planners should be aware of, including qualification rules, how benefits are calculated, early and late retirement decisions, earnings test,...
- Your Finances. // Las Vegas Business Press;8/2/2004, Vol. 21 Issue 29, p6A
Lists several ways to prepare for retirement according to actor and economist Ben Stein. Awareness about the Social Security benefits; Assistance from professional financial advisor in financial planning; Calculation of money needed to accumulate by the time of retirement.
- Will you have enough to retire? // Consumer Reports;Oct2010, Vol. 75 Issue 10, p15
The article looks at retirement planning, focusing on ways to assess the financial needs of retirees. Suggestions on how to determine future expenses and monthly income are presented. The author recommends that people who contribute to Social Security check their yearly estimated benefits...
- Retirement planning --- preparing for your biggest vacation. Turner, Rebecca D. // Fort Worth Business Press;5/9/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 19, p28
Focuses on retirement planning in the U.S. Assistance of a financial professional in building a retirement plan; Key components or phases of retirement planning.
- No easy way to figure your retirement income. Israelov, Rhoda // Indianapolis Business Journal;08/21/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 23, p36
Presents advice on how to come up with a financial plan for retirement. Influence of investment choices on decision-making; Need for discussions with a financial planner; Advantages of the Roth individual retirement account (IRA); Payment of taxes on conversion of traditional IRA to a Roth IRA.
- Does Social Security Really Matter for Retirement Planning? Most, Bruce W. // Journal of Financial Planning;Apr99, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p44
Examines whether social security matters for retirement planning. Reaction of financial planners on social security; How social security reform might affect financial planning clients; General agreement among financial planners regarding social security reform.
- Ready, Set, Retire. ROSATO, DONNA; FRIED, CARLA; POPPICK, SUSIE // Money;Nov2012, Vol. 41 Issue 10, p58
An introduction is provided to a section that offers suggestions on planning for retirement. Based on information from several different financial experts and advisers, the strategies presented are based on various increments of time, including 10 years prior to retirement, five years prior to...