Only in N.Y.: Creative turns garbage into works of art
- Turning Trash Into Cash. Prosek, James; Streitfeld, David; Barron, James; Cave, Damien; Tanier, Mike; Majerol, Veronica // New York Times Upfront;10/24/2011, Vol. 144 Issue 4, p3
The article features Justin Gignac, who started a garbage-art business in New York in which he handpicks litters, seals them in clear-plastic cubes and sells them as art.
- Throwaway Culture. // Print;Aug2012, Vol. 66 Issue 4, p24
The article focuses on the popularity of trash in the world of visual culture. The article discusses examples of garbage in art such as the venture of student Justin Gignac who successfully packaged garbage from New York City, the artist Arman who displayed trash in glass cases and Jacques...
- IN THE NEWS. // Scholastic Action;12/5/2011, Vol. 35 Issue 7, p2
The article presents news of interest to young readers in the U.S., including the giant crocodile called Brutus which weighs 2,000 pounds, artist Justin Gignac who uses clear-plastic cubes filled with garbage for his artworks the walkway EdgeWalk in Canada.
- ON THE CAMPAIGN COUCHï¿½ WITH JB. // Campaign (UK);6/12/2009, Issue 23, p21
In this article, the author discusses the measures used by several advertising agencies to control encouragement of waste.
- Xing Danwen. // European Photography;Spring/Summer2008, Issue 83, p32
Photographs of crushed plastic items taken by photographer Xing Danwen are presented.
- Trash to Treasure. // Weekly Reader News - Edition 3;4/20/2007, Vol. 76 Issue 23, p2
The article features the Garbage Museum located in Stratford, Connecticut. The museum teaches children to reduce throwing of trash by recycling instead. The museum showcases a giant dinosaur made of trash called Trash-o-saurus. The Museum offers ideas to protect the planet, such as reduce waste,...
- BAY AREA FEATURES TRASH CAN SCHOOL OF ART. // In Business;Mar/Apr2005, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p6
The article focuses on art made from trash. Art made from trash to graphically prove the beauty as well as utility of recycling is the goal of the Artistin-Residence Program at San Francisco's,California dump. Founded in 1990 by Norcal Waste Systems, the program has involved 50 Bay Area artists...
- The Trash Bin of History. // Mother Jones;Nov/Dec2003, Vol. 28 Issue 6, p82
Features an army of humanoid sculptures created by German artist H. A. Schult out of various trash materials. His inspiration for the project; Trash materials included in the sculptures.
- TRASH COMPACTOR. // Earth Island Journal;Summer2009, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p31
The article focuses on Tim Gaudrea, co-artist and a native of New Hampshire, who took a photograph in every single item that he threw or recycled between the year 2003 and 2004 to help people gestate the enormity of the collective trash. The project entitled "Self Portrait as Revealed by Trash:...