Control Considerations for Cryogenic Storage Facilities
- Indirect-drive noncryogenic double-shell ignition targets for the National Ignition Facility: Design and analysis. Amendt, Peter; Colvin, J. D.; Tipton, R. E.; Hinkel, D. E.; Edwards, M. J.; Landen, O. L.; Ramshaw, J. D.; Suter, L. J.; Varnum, W. S.; Watt, R. G. // Physics of Plasmas;May2002, Vol. 9 Issue 5, p2221
Analysis and design of indirect-drive National Ignition Facility double-shell targets with hohlraum temperatures of 200 eV and 250 eV are presented. The analysis of these targets includes the assessment of two-dimensional radiation asymmetry and nonlinear mix. Two-dimensional integrated hohlraum...
- The Joy of Larders. Anderson, Digby // National Review;12/9/1996, Vol. 48 Issue 23, p70
This article presents information on larders. It is informed that larder is a cupboard that is cool, dry, dark, and sealed against mice and flies. It is opined that a refrigerator cannot replace a larder. The essential difference is that fridges keep fresh foods fresh; larders keep preserved...
- Superleak-tight cold valve testable at room temperature. Tsuda, T.; Mori, Y.; Satoh, T. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Mar91, Vol. 62 Issue 3, p841
In order to obtain a reliable cold valve (or low temperature valve) which can be tested at room temperature, several combinations of hard material for the valve stem tip and soft material for the valve seat were tested. The combination of Be-Cu and Ag gave satisfactory performance.
- Industrial refn course offered. // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;10/07/96, Vol. 199 Issue 6, p25
Reports that the University of Wisconsin Department of Engineering Professional Development will offer a course on Analysis of Existing Industrial Refrigeration Systems on November 4-8, 1996 in Madison, Wisconsin.
- Low temperature hydrogen embrittlement behavior of Zr-4 alloy. Xiong, Y. F.; Li, L. F.; Wang, W. H.; Zhao, L. Z.; Rong, L. J. // AIP Conference Proceedings;2002, Vol. 614 Issue 1, p71
The mechanical properties and hydrogen embrittlement behaviors (HE) of Zr-4 alloy in the temperature range of 40-4.2 K have been investigated. The hydrogen free Zr-4 alloy sample exhibits a very good tensile strength and superior ductility as high as a 21% increase at liquid hydrogen temperature...
- Quench tests of a 20-cm-long RABiTS YBCO tape. Lue, J. W.; Gouge, M. J.; Duckworth, R. C.; Lee, D. F.; Kroeger, D. M.; Pfotenhauer, J. M. // AIP Conference Proceedings;2002, Vol. 614 Issue 1, p321
A 20-cm-long YBCO tape fabricated by the Rolling Assisted Bi-axially Textured Substrate (RABiTS) technique was used to study the quench behavior of a secondgeneration high-temperature superconductor (HTS). Quench tests of the sample were performed in a conduction cooling condition with a...
- State-of-the-art cryogenic deflashing. // Rubber World;Dec2002, Vol. 227 Issue 3, p20
Focuses on the importance of cryogenic deflashing machines in reducing cycle times and operational costs. Control of speeds and temperature; Delivery of the parts to the barrel; Improvement of work efficiency.
- India to continue cryogenic development. // Interavia Business & Technology;Aug93, Vol. 48 Issue 569, p49
Reports on India's decision to pursue cryogenic engine research and development regardless of Russian intentions to scale back an earlier agreement to provide such technology. Pressure from the United States; Stoppage of transfer of liquid hydrogen/oxygen know-how to India; Threat of sanctions...
- Cryogenic treatment of tool steels. Collins, David N. // Advanced Materials & Processes;Dec98, Vol. 154 Issue 6, pH23
Summarizes available information on cryogenic treatment of tool steels and identifies the underlying mechanisms involved. Property improvements that have been claimed for steels that were low-temperature treated; Microstructure and properties of alloys; Transformation of austenite; Conditioning...