MotherRock Won't Be: Won't Be Nat Gas' Last Victim
- Dramatic blowups share a few traits. Clair, Chris // Pensions & Investments;3/3/2003, Vol. 31 Issue 5, p14
Reports on the factors responsible for failure of business in hedge funds. Categories into which failures associated with hedge funds can be catatgorised;Importance of the way hedge fund managers approach their business for the success of hedge funds; Example of Hedge funds that incurred losses...
- If you like the sound of virtual money, better make sure that it's the real deal. // MacUser;9/14/2012, Vol. 28 Issue 19, p14
The article reports that a virtual hedge fund has been shut down, with the administrator yet to repay investors.
- The Morning Brief: Citadel Alum's RoundKeep Capital Calls It Quits. // AR Magazine;Oct2012, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p22
This section offers news briefs concerning the hedge fund industry as of October 2012, including the HFRX Global Hedge Fund Index showing that hedge funds performed the worst among asset classes during the period 2003-2011, RoundKeep Capital Advisors LLC closing its business and Brevan Howard...
- ABP to put up to 6 billion euro in hedge funds, commodities. Payne, Beatrix // Pensions & Investments;9/3/2001, Vol. 29 Issue 18, p1
Reports the investment of 6 billion euro by the ABP in hedge funds and commodities in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Increase holdings in corporate credits and private equity; Use of neutral and directional strategies in business planning; Advantages of launching an alternative investment division.
- Scudder Weisel's Story Is Short and Cautionary. Hunter, Matthew; Ackermann, Matt // American Banker;4/5/2001, Vol. 166 Issue 66, p11
Focuses on the lessons to be learned from the failure of alternative-investment joint venture Scudder Weisel Capital to hedge fund sellers. Difficulty in testing new products during an economic slowdown; Company's aim to sell hedge funds and other financial products to wealthy clients.
- Beachwood hedge fund shuttered after poor 2011. PARK, MICHELLE // Crain's Cleveland Business;2/20/2012, Vol. 33 Issue 8, p0008
The article presents information on the closing down of Beachwood hedge fund Lake Front Partners LP. Firm executives decided to close the fund because of poor performance in 2011. Dick Hollington, president of CapitalWorks, said that their performance in 2011 put them in a position where we were...
- Regulation of hedge funds long overdue. // Crain's Chicago Business;8/13/2007, Vol. 30 Issue 33, p16
The article comments on the need for rational regulation of hedge funds in the U.S. It is stated that every few weeks one gets news of another multibillion-dollar blowup at the hands of a hedge fund manager whose risky bets broke bad, or who's accused of malfeasance by his investors. It outlines...
- Commodities, Hedge Funds Get Their Own Indexes. // Financial Planning;Mar2001, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p28
Deals with published stock price indexes for commodities and hedge funds. Benefits of the Carr Barclay Index; Information on the CSFB/Tremont Hedge Fund Index.
- Hedge Funds Bounce Back -- EM Outperforms. // Emerging Markets Monitor;10/15/2007, Vol. 13 Issue 27, p5
The article offers a look at the market condition of hedge funds and emerging markets index. The Eurekahedge Hedge Fund Index has posted an above average 3.6% increase. Information is also presented on the market performance of commodities such as oil and precious metals. Emerging market...