NAS looks to unravel data
- Industry Groups Recommend Overhaul Of Nation's Environmental Policies. Hess, Glenn // Chemical Market Reporter;02/12/2001, Vol. 259 Issue 7, p1
Reports on the recommendation of the American Chemistry Council (ACC) and other business groups that the United States (U.S.) government should modernize environmental policy. Comments from ACC President Fred Webber about the issue; Recommendation by the National Academy of Sciences to the U.S....
- Report raises hopes for grand network of US ecology centres. Dalton, Rex // Nature;9/25/2003, Vol. 425 Issue 6956, p332
Reports on the United States National Academy of Sciences' endorsement of the creation of a network of ecological research stations that the National Science Foundation has advocated. Reasons behind the delay in the establishment of the research network; Expected cost of the research stations.
- U.S. and Russia cooperate in infectious disease research. // Public Health Reports;May/Jun98, Vol. 113 Issue 3, p197
Focuses on a report from the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) on a cooperative program between the United States and Russia, using Russian specialists to research highly infectious diseases. What impact this could have on American national security and public health goals; How the program...
- Biotechnology: Food Security and Labeling Issues. // Consumer Comments;Sep/Oct99, Vol. 23 Issue 5, p3
Focuses on the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and the National Academy of Sciences' sponsored conference on biotechnology in 1999.
- Latest budget cuts arouse concern and recommendations. J.C. // Physics Today;Dec81, Vol. 34 Issue 12, p47
Reports on a conference held by the U.S. National Academy of Sciences on October 26 and 27, 1981 to suggest alternatives for the wise allocation of limited resources to control the damage to the U.S. scientific and technological enterprise. Overview of the total estimated federal research and...
- Competitiveness for stability. Culliton, Barbara J. // Nature;8/12/1993, Vol. 364 Issue 6438, p571
Discusses the state of science research and the National Acadamy of Sciences' efforts in this regard. Academy's report `National Goals for a New Era'; Research justification in terms of international competitiveness; Scheme; Criteria; Influence on authors; `Science--The Endless Frontier' report...
- `It's time to end the reading wars.' // NEA Today;May98, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p17
Focuses on a study on reading development released by the National Academy of Sciences. Basic elements that build good readers; Instruction needed by the curriculums to promote comprehension; Recommendation on expansion of affordable preschool programs.
- Gene controlling flowering boosts energy production from sorghum. Phillips, Kathleen // Southwest Farm Press;10/6/2011, Vol. 38 Issue 19, p11
The article discusses the study published in the proceedings of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences which reports on the discovery by the Texas AgriLife Research team of a gene that regulates sorghum flower that can boost energy production.
- NAS Hoping To Bridge Divide on Learning Methods. Hoff, David J. // Education Week;01/13/99, Vol. 18 Issue 18, p9
Reports that the National Academy of Science will publish a report summarizing research on how people learn in the United States. Purpose of the report; Comments of John D. Bransford of Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee on the learning strategy; Details on the report `How People...