The California Native American Chaplains Commission
- PRISON CHAPLAIN. // Ebony;Mar1952, Vol. 7 Issue 5, p56
The article features Reverend William Saunders, cited as the only African-American to hold the post of chaplain to a major U.S. jail, the State Prison of Southern Michigan.
- Hongisto names Father Richards as San Francisco jail chaplain. // Advocate;3/1/72, Issue 80, p4
Reports that gay priest Bob Richards has been appointed to a chaplaincy in the San Francisco County jail system in California. Sheriff Richard Hongisto's reasons for appointing Richards; Richards' plan to bring changes to the treatment of homosexuals in jails; Jail background of Richards.
- CHAPLAIN'S CONGREGATION HAS THIEVES AND KILLERS. // Ebony;Mar1952, Vol. 7 Issue 5, p59
The article features Reverend William Saunders, a chaplain to a racially mixed state penitentiary, describing his poor upbringing and some of his experiences with a number of the inmates.
- The changing role of today's chaplain. Fewell, Tom // Corrections Today;Jul95, Vol. 57 Issue 4, p16
Discusses the changes in the role that chaplains play in prisons in the United States. Traditional church model; Services provided; Popularity of the clinical model for chaplains; Qualifications; Financial aspects; Privatization in corrections; Exercising freedom of religion; Functions of the...
- What Is the Role of Chaplaincy in the Jail? Perez, Raymond M. // American Jails;Sep/Oct2008, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p94
The article focuses on the role of chaplaincy in the correctional facility. It notes that chaplains provide ministry functions to inmates, staff, and broader community. It also notes that chaplains also performs unique function that fulfils the general definition of providing religious services...
- THE CONSCIENCE OF CHAPLAINS. Bowman, Craig // Reform Magazine;Dec2010, p30
The article discusses the role of military chaplains, highlighting the issue of conscience and obedience. It highlights the views of most ministers, whether or not they have served as a chaplain and sworn an oath of allegiance to their monarch, with regards to the celebration of Remembrance Day....
- Letter to the Editor. Ortiz, Joe // Corrections Today;Jun2004, Vol. 66 Issue 3, p15
Presents a letter to the editor in response to the article "Chaplaincy: Facing New and Old Challenges," in the August 2003 issue.
- Chaplaincy for Gays in N.Y's 'Tombs' // Advocate;1/19/72, Issue 77, p8
Reports that the Church of the Beloved Disciple has established a prison chaplaincy for homosexuals confined to Tombs, the Manhattan detention center for men. Priests involved in counseling the gay inmates of the Tombs; Visitation program.
- Prison chaplain goes beyond the expected. Olsson, Kurt // Corrections Today;Jun95, Vol. 57 Issue 3, p84
Profiles Oregon Department of Corrections' administrator of religious services Father Michael Sprauer. Awards and achievements; Decision to enter priesthood; Vocation as a priest; Counseling given to inmates.