Eminent Domain Curbs
- Eminent Domain Struggle Appears to Be Imminent. Graves, Brad // San Diego Business Journal;4/28/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 17, p13
The article reports on the resolutions opposing Proposition 98 and supporting Proposition 99 on the June 3 ballot that needs to be considered by the City Council at its April 23 meeting in Imperial Beach, California. The author stated that the measures address the government's power of eminent...
- Washington AG Targets Eminent Domain as Bills Make Rounds. Cohen, Jackie // Bond Buyer;4/10/2007, Vol. 360 Issue 32604, p3
The article reports on the plan of Washington Attorney General Robert McKenna to convene a task force that addresses abuses of eminent domain laws by local governments. According to special assistant attorney general for government accountability Greg Overstreet, McKenna will convene a task...
- BILL FORESEEN TO CURB EMINENT DOMAIN. Miller, Jay // Crain's Cleveland Business;9/25/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 39, p1
The article reports that the issue of eminent domain will be discussed in the 2006 lame duck session of the Ohio Legislature. The discussion is likely to influence the outcome of the efforts to take apartments for mixed use development by the company Wolstein Group. Bill Seitz, Republican of...
- Eminent Domain Due Process. Hudson, D. Zachary // Yale Law Journal;Apr2010, Vol. 119 Issue 6, p1280
This Note analyzes the apparent disconnect between eminent domain doctrine and due process doctrine. Following Kelo, numerous states have reformed their eminent domain laws in an effort to ensure that the takings power is not abused. Whatever one makes of these legislative reforms, at an...
- Takings: What Does Matter? A Response to Professor PeÃ±alver. Gordley, James R. // Ecology Law Quarterly;2004, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p291
Examines the modern takings doctrine in the U.S. Significance of the Thomistic-Aristotelian natural law theory to the takings provision of the Fifth Amendment; History of the Thomistic-Aristotelian natural law theory; Distribution of resources by the government under the Aristotelian tradition.
- Overhaul needed to stop eminent domain abuse. Schepisi, John A. // njbiz;9/26/2011, Vol. 24 Issue 39, p19
The article urges the New Jersey Legislature to take necessary action to stop eminent domain abuse by condemning authorities and to balance the right of the property owner with the right of the public.
- El Paseo del RÃo San Francisco: Urban Development and Social Justice in Puebla, Mexico. Churchill, Nancy E. // Social Justice;1999, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p156
Focuses on the expropriation of the private properties in Puebla, Mexico to construct a convention center and tourist complex. Inability of the government to persuade property owners to give up their properties; Contents of the 1993 General Law of Human Settlements; Development of the...
- Fighting Chance. Bahls, Steven C.; Bahls, Jane Easter // Entrepreneur;Nov98, Vol. 26 Issue 11, p82
Focuses on the legal concept called eminent domain which means the right of federal, state and local governments to take private property when needed for public purposes. What happens if the land owner refuses the government's initial offering; Advice given by attorney Augustus F. Wagner Jr.,...
- SUBSTITUTE CONDEMNATION. Williams, Stanley H. // California Law Review;May66, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p1097
Discusses the law on substitute condemnation. Command of the Fifth Amendment with regard to private property; Discussion of the power of eminent domain; Distinct meanings of the phrase public use.