School Funding Question
- How Much Power to the People? Jacobson, Louis // National Journal;10/03/98, Vol. 30 Issue 40, p2338
Reports that some state legislatures in the United States are fighting back citizen-initiated ballot measures. Legislature-proposed measures in some states; Average cost of placing an initiative on the California ballot and in other states; Initiatives in Arizona and Montana.
- Colo. Lawmakers To Resume Work on School-Finance Issue. Walsh, Mark // Education Week;10/16/1991, Vol. 11 Issue 7, p16
The article reports that legislature is scheduled to meet again for its special session next week after they failed to agree on a school-finance measure. They are putting off hard decision whether to provide full funding as required by the 1998 school-finance law. Governor Roy Romer, an alliance...
- Court again strikes down Wyo. finance system. Miller, Laura // Education Week;11/22/95, Vol. 15 Issue 12, p10
Discusses the decision of the Wyoming Supreme Court which ruled the state's school-funding system unconstitutional. Court's order that the legislature conduct a study to determine the elements of a complete education package; Failure of the state to afford equal protection as mandated by the...
- LEGISLATIVE UPDATE. // Education Week;08/02/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 43, p28
Presents a roundup of legislative developments concerning school finance in a number of states in the United States as of August 2, 2000. Inclusion of a Delaware budget allotment for the implementation of an educator accountability system; Vermont budget provisions to contain special education...
- School-funding solution remains far from legislative reality. Jacobson, Alf // New Hampshire Business Review;03/09/2001, Vol. 23 Issue 5, p11
Discusses the issues concerning school funding legislation in New Hampshire. Critical areas of education financing; Opinions of politicians on the state' system of funding education; Implication of the proposed constitutional amendment on schools in the state.
- Bills to close funding gap fall by wayside in Ill. Johnston, Robert C. // Education Week;6/19/96, Vol. 15 Issue 39, p18
Reports on the provision on the Illinois state budget for $52.5 million to be used for block grants that will be divided among all school districts based on enrollment. Failure to close gaps in per-pupil spending in the state; Total elementary and secondary education budget for fiscal 1997.
- N.H. Republicans Suggest School Funding Amendment. McKaig, Ryan // Bond Buyer;02/28/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31086, p3
Reports that New Hampshire Republican legislators have proposed a constitutional amendment on school funding to alleviate funding crisis in the state. Provisions of the legislative proposal; Requirement for the proposal to be enacted into law.
- More Aid Alloted To Help Schools Meet Standards. Richard, Alan // Education Week;7/11/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 42, p25
Reports on South Carolina legislators' approval of the state education budget which will minimize tuition hikes in the state. Amount relegated for education; Increase in the appropriation for early childhood education in the state.
- Schools to get $60M. // New York Amsterdam News;11/18/99, Vol. 90 Issue 47, p49
Focuses on a legislation that would extend expiring tax provisions and provide additional funding for public schools in New York. Provisions on qualified zone academy bonds; Schools eligible to obtain funds under the legislative measure.