EchoStar Seeks Edge in Helping Callers
- Merger Talk Dominates SkyForum. Hogan, Monica // Multichannel News;5/6/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 18, p30
Reports the merger of EchoStar Communications Corp. and DirecTV Inc. in the U.S. Optimism for the approval of the consolidation by the federal government; Competition with cable video-on-demand and high-definition television capabilities; Cost of developing a broadband satellite service.
- DirecTV's Price Hike Sent New Sub Numbers South. Scanlon, Mavis // Cable World (10427228);7/22/2002, Vol. 14 Issue 29, p6
Reports on the decision of DirecTV to raise the prices of its subscription fees in the second quarter of 2002. Impact of the move on the population of its subscribers; Purpose of the price increase; Outlook on the proposed merger of the company with EchoStar Communications.
- EchoStar Foes Foment. Shields, Todd // MediaWeek;9/9/2002, Vol. 12 Issue 32, p5
Reports on the protests against the merger agreement between EchoStar Communications Corp. and DirectTV in the U.S. as of September 9, 2002. Total cost of the acquisition agreement; Reasons for the protests against the merger agreement; Views of several television and telecommunication...
- DBS Deal Is Sinking Fast. Shields, Todd // MediaWeek;11/4/2002, Vol. 12 Issue 40, p8
Discusses issues concerning the proposed EchoStar/DirecTV merger. Dispute over whether EchoStar will pay a breakup fee to DirecTV parent company Hughes Electronics; Information on the U.S. Justice Department's move against the merger; Implications of the deal's collapse to News Corp.
- FCC topper: Sat deal will be scrutinized. McClintock, Pamela // Daily Variety;11/2/2001, Vol. 273 Issue 45, p4
Reports the reaction of Federal Communications Commission chair Michael Powell on a merger between EchoStar Inc. and Direct TV Inc. in Washington. Move of Powell to set up an internal, inter-agency team to study the deal; Impact of the deal on the satellite television market; Members of the...
- AT PRESS TIME. // Electronic Media;3/4/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 9, p1
Reports developments in the electronic media industry in the U.S. as of March 2002. Plans of the Senate antitrust committee for a hearing on the proposed EchoStar-DirecTV merger; Issue on broadcaster rights in the disclosure of a community-interest programming of broadcasters; Application for...
- Dish pledge doesn't help DirecTV deal. Hatch, David // Electronic Media;3/4/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 9, p13
Reports the resistance of the National Association of Broadcasters on a planned merger of EchoStar and DirectTV in the U.S. Pledge made by the company; Criticisms on the deal; Commitment of the companies in giving consumers a viable alternative for video services.
- EchoStar, DirecTV have room to wiggle. Hatch, David // Electronic Media;3/11/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 10, p4
Focuses on the controversy related to the planned merger of EchoStar and DirecTV in the U.S. Proposal of a nationwide pricing of satellite programming during the Senate hearing; Concerns directed by the company executives to the Supreme Court; Plan of state government to oppose the deal.
- Did EchoStar foul DirecTV merger plan? Swann, Phillip // Electronic Media;10/14/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 41, p3
Analyzes the reasons for the blocking the merger between Echostar and DirectTV by the Federal Communications Commission in the U.S. Failure of Echostar to establish a sophisticated public relations; Falsification of claims made by the telemarketers of Echostar; Frequency of defiance of Echostar...